Topic

slim fit hiking pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) slim fit hiking pants?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I would suggest these as well.

EDIT- the Arc'Teryx Ramparts that is

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I like my Craghoppers:

http://www.us.craghoppers.com/buy/nosilife-lite-trousers-regular-length-140308

They look normal enough to wear around town too. I do see complaints that they run small but that should be "relatively small". In other words, I have found that my 34" waist Craghoppers are exactly 34" at the waist; my other brands actually measure slightly larger for the same stated size.

Mike

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's my current favorite. At $15 and 4 ounces it is hard not to like them.

here

Waist looks funny in photo because it is rolled over for some reason. It is a simple elastic waist.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I found some poly/wool pants with a slim fit. Probably too slim for most people. I like that style though. I like hiking in running pants/tights, but those aren't really durable enough for bushwhacking.

These were the pants I found: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Skinny-Fit-Suit-Pants-in-Wool-Blend/yvmd1/?iid=2138286&cid=4910&Rf900=1588&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Navy&mporgp=L0FTT1MvQVNPUy1Ta2lubnktRml0LVN1aXQtVHJvdXNlcnMtaW4tV29vbC1CbGVuZC9Qcm9kLw..&affid=2365&WT.srch=1
    I will try these out soon.

There also these biking/commuter pants I found, but they are very pricy:
    http://www.nonethelessgarments.com/collections/front-page/products/dispatch-rider-slim-pant

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

Another vote for Prana Zion. Nice slim fit, light and amazing stretch to them. They are by far my favorite pants that I've purchased.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm a huge fan of the Outdoor Research Ferrosi Pants. Slim fit, great fabric, breaths well, extremely lightweight, and water resistant. Has drawstring cuffs so you can roll them up to the knee and cinch them down to convert to shorts/britches.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Patagonia Traverse pants are my go to winter/shoulder season pants, probably too hot for summer use. Slim fit, comfortable, simple…love them.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

+1 on the climbing pants, including the Marmot Rockstars. Liked them so much, put a review on this site.
    They are a stretchy softshell that is not baggy, and come in lighter colors that will repel heat. Sized to 38" waist, they are under 12 oz.
    For ages wore quick dry and DWR polyesters that were very baggy, looked awful and wetted out in the rain, becoming a soggy, ill-fitting PITA.
    Hated them so much, just wore baggies with a rain top even in the worst weather.
    Found the Marmots at EMS with similar models from TNF, but the Marmots were lighter with less garbage, zip-off legs, cargo pockets, etc.
    Now I hike more comfy in the stretchy pants, keeping heavy rain, hail and sunburn all off the legs. And I don't have to feel like an idiot when leaving the trail to enter civilization for a spell. The Baggies get left in the pack now.
    The climbers definitely have the right idea.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

In an effort to wear clothing that can serve as both my outdoor clothes and my everyday clothes, and to cut down on the amount of clothing I own in general, I just picked these up:

http://shop.bluffworks.co/

I consider them slim enough to be considered athletic cut and even fashionable, but not too slim where they would be out of place on the trail or in an office. These are pretty awesome and IMO reasonably price for what they are. I can personally attest to the fact that they are indeed quick drying (no DWR treatment however) have pretty good mobility for slim pants (gusseted crotch) and do not look technical whatsoever (crucial for the dual purpose goal I had in mind). Behind it's modest appearance is the ability to go straight from the cubicle to the trail. These seriously are perfect jack of all trade pants, and belong equally well at work, on the trail, at the post-hike bbq or burger joint or while traveling.

Other pros: Made in NYC, supporting a kickstarter, no more ironing or dry cleaning!
    Although his website states it's a preorder, my pants arrived within 2 weeks (maybe even faster, I can't remember)

Cons: It looks pretty goofy to wear bright trail runners with pants that look like chinos, but you win some you lose some :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't have a specific model, sorry. Usually i hit up the Goodwills, Salvation Army's, etc. and look in the dress pants area for Wool-Poly blends. Some i have found are quite baggy, some are more slim fit. I like 60% to 35% Wool to 40% to 65% Polyester blends because of the nice balance of drying relatively fast, being fairly durable, natural odor control, very breathable, and being warmish but not too warm. Sometimes i coat the outside with a good quality DWR spray like Nikwax or Grangers.

However, my favorite pair of hiking pants are a Satori 55% Hemp and 45% polyester blend because they are so durable/tough, dry pretty fast and wick well, have decent odor control, and fairly thermo regulating. They are a bit heavy though : /

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got a pair of these yesterday, and I love the way they fit. I exclusively wear skinny jeans, and have for a really long time, anything else just feels awkward now. Most of the hiking pants I've tried on have been way too baggy for my taste. But I think these are perfect. They're very slim fitting without being too tight to comfortably move. The fabric is also really comfortable, and the drawstring bottoms are a huge plus. These will definitely be my go to hiking pants.

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

Been wearing a pair of the Stoic Overhang pants for several trips backpacking and mountain biking. Definitely worth the $50 I paid but they would be considered by the UL-types here at BPL to be way overbuilt. Seeing as I tend to destroy my pants/shorts, and I also prefer to have something I can happily take mountain biking (which usually involves crashing) I think they're utterly brilliant. So much so I've bought a second pair in a different color (the ridiculous bright blue, which will be almost exclusively used biking because it would clash with my bright orange backpack). That said I may buy a second pair of the grey since Stoic is being discontinued and I really do love these pants.

Cut is slim btw, and the fabric is quite stretchy as they're meant originally for climbing. There's a wealth of pockets with low profile zippers and inner pockets that I'm still discovering half the time. The inseam on the XL manages to be a true 34" which was my deal-breaker with most of the pants people have mentioned. I'm not sure why 38" waists are automatically assumed to be on 30" inseamed fat men. Some dudes like me are just big AND tall. Whatever the case, they're great pants especially for the price.

Departmentofgoods.com has a few colors on sale. Backcountry.com has a few other colors also on sale.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools