Topic

ex light type down vest with hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear ex light type down vest with hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

i want to make a light down vest basically a exlight with a hood i want it as light as possible so 7d and 900fp down. My question is anyone know of a good vest pattern? i can pattern a hood no problem.Second thing is i am lost as too how to insert the down and make the sewn through baffles ? do you fill the jacket with down before baffling it and then close it all up evan out the down and form baffles ? also what seam do you use? i cant think of a finishing seam that would hide the edge ? i have a decent amount of sewing and gear building experience but am lacking patience

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

do it with karo baffles, then just leave a hole someplace put all the down in and move it around, no need to measure for tiny baffle size of sew with down in it. Just use a smaller grid like 8/4 or 8/5 or you could get really tight with like a 6/3 or 6/4 but the smaller the grid the harder to move down around. I haven't done this yet but am planning to make a jacket this way.

-Tim

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I read up on Karo baffles and it sounded like you sew through both layers of fabric before inserting down ? And the baffles are just rectangles with only 3 sides sewn

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC
    Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Tim…I really like the look of your quilts…when the $$$ eventually build up I'll shoot you an email. If you start making karo step baffled 900fill jackets and vests I may as well give you my credit card :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools