Topic

Leavitt Meadows/Fremont Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Leavitt Meadows/Fremont Lake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

West Walker River

Perfect September weather with little are no mosquitoes. We did a out and back at 16 glorious miles and a high point of 8,310 ft– I was winded a times!! We had a great campsite with plenty of flats spots and some good fishing. Thanks Dave and James for the company and I look forward to up and coming backpacking trips!!!!!

Leavitt Meadows from the TH

Dave and Roosevelt Lake

James crossing the West Walker River

Fremont Lake

Unknown Sandy Mt.
    Pack Trails

Fremont Lake w/Tower Pk

What a fun and easy trip with the traditional DOUBLE-DOUBLE and the end. Can't wait until Morris Meadows in October. Looking forward to my 12TH trip of the year-SWEET!!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

No skeets? Who'd you bribe? Quite the wade across the Walker, I've always been able to rock or log-hop the thing. IIRC that's Tower Peak to the left.

Me jealous, but thanks for posting anyway.

Rick

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Always have wanted to hike in that area. Sorry I could not attend with you guys. I have some major painting jobs around the house to do! Nice photos Jay!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Cool!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for the trip Jay and James. Great trail, weather and company made for an ideal weekend trip. I look forward to next time.

1Jay and James in Leavitt Meadow

2 West Walker River

3 James in a calm section of West Walker River

4Fremont Lake

5 Jay on the trail getting psyched up for a swim in Roosevelt Lake

7Back in Leavitt Meadow, Jay is nearly back to the trailhead and the double-double calling his name.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Thanks both Jay and David for such a great trip. Such good company, and as a relative new-comer here, I learned some great new tricks. Having never been East of Kennedy Meadows in that area, it was amazing the range of different landscapes you pass through, from chaparral/desert-ish Leavitt Meadows through aspens up into the high country.

Leavitt Meadows
    Leavitt Meadows

W Walker River
    West Walker River (this is taken while standing in the water. Very soothing.

Fishing
    Jay casting for some trout

Double Double
    Jay changing lures or something (but actually just thinking about his double-double)

Tenkara!
    David with his Tenkara

Colors
    Nice colors in the rock and tree

Camp
    Fremont Lake from near our camp site.
    At night, the stars in the cloudless sky reflected almost perfectly on the undisturbed lake… and there were NO MOSQUITOES! I don't know yet which was more peaceful.

walker river
    Walker river from above.

All in all a great time. Thanks to both of you guys for your company.

Julia Stephens

@oneworldfunk

Hi Jay,
    Can you tell me how the trail conditions were going through Leavitt Meadows? I am not especially a fan of trails that have been overused by pack trains, and I was wondering if the trail is unpleasantly dusty or filled with pack poo. Also, how were the camping options around Fremont Lake? Did it seem like that Lake gets hit really hard with weekenders?
    Thanks for getting back to me when you have a second.
    Julia

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Julia, we were there pretty late in the season this trip so it was basically empty. However, I did get the impression it gets some pretty heavy summer use. If I recall, there were even some of those metal fire rings around the lake.

Not too much of a push further up is Cinko(spelling?) lake, which I would head to if I did this trip again. Might lose some of the crowds up there, though I can't vouch for that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools