Topic

Father / Daughter Adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Father / Daughter Adventure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

My daughter and I enjoyed an overnight adventure in Oregon's Mountain Lakes Wilderness this past weekend. We arrived at the trail head and were ready to start before noon, my daughter was excited to use her custom XSmall MLD Burn (it is still a little big on her, the pack will fit perfect next year).

Trail Head

Ready to hike.

Lake break.

Daughter and dog.

Much time was spent practicing wilderness gymnastics.

Wilderness Gymnastics - 1

Wilderness Gymnastics - 2

Wilderness Gymnastics - 3

Wilderness Gymnastics - 4

Wilderness Gymnastics - 5

Our shelter for this trip was a custom HMG Echo II. My daughter and I both used MLD SL Bivys with full net hoods and Nunatak arc Ghost quilts. The HMG tarp and other gear performed perfectly.

Gear

Thom

Sunset

The temperature really dropped as the sun went down. My daughter staying warm by the fire in her Patagonia Down Sweater and Kat P beanie.

Camp

Moxie using her UL DogBowl.

UL DogBowl

size S?M UL DogBowl

A fun trip for sure.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Nice to see this father/daughter trip. My 4 yr. old Brooke & I enjoyed looking at the photos, and reminisce about our trip.

Brooke & Daddy along the AT in PA

Tom

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What a lucky daughter! What a lucky dad! What a lucky pup! Looks like another fun trip for the Darrah's. Thanks for sharing Thom.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Thom — what a nice set of photos. It looks like she had a great time. And a tarp too!

It almost makes me wish my teenage daughters were that age again.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the sweet trip report.
    Nice pictures and what a cool little girl you have there!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Very nice!

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

thanks for sharing

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting this…I have twin girls who just turned five. We're planning our next backpacking trip (I took them for a 1.3 mile overnighter this past May) and they're already telling me that this time they want a tent. It was a beautiful night and we slept under the stars when we went in May.

Your daughter have any concerns about not having walls around her? Of all things my girls are concerned about a fox coming into camp while they sleep. They can't tell me where that fear originated, but it's real to them. I have a Lunar Duo that they could use, but it certainly weighs a lot more than my large groundsheet and cuben tarp.

I tried to extoll the virtues of sleeping under the stars with them but without success. We're going to go in the Spring regardless – I'll suck it up and carry a tent for them if it means we get our trip out of it. I was just wondering if you, or anyone else, had any words of wisdom that can help kids make the transition to tarping (we do a fair amount of car camping in tents). I know it's hard enough to get adults to move away from the protection of a sil-nylon tent wall, much less getting kids to do it.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

My daughter only knows a tarp shelter and she loves the open but yet protected feel. She likely finds comfort in having our dog Moxie sleeping at the head of the tarp. Moxie would come over and check on my daughter about every hour throughout the night and then return to her sleep spot near by (I will add a picture later today).

Moxie

I struggled with keeping her head covered during the night and will likely carry a light balaclava as part of her sleep system on future trips. I may also switch to a duel bivy to better control her squirming off of her sleep pad during the night.

Although she is my princess she is no girly girl. She has no issue with taking care of business in the outdoors and the greater the adventure the happier her she is.

She keeps asking me to take her tenkara fishing and so our next trip this fall will be an over night tenkara adventure.

Any BPL fathers wanting insights to father/daughter trip and gear planning feel free to PM.

Thom

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks Thom – I'm sure having the dog along helps a lot.

It got down into the 30's when I took my girls in May. They have TNF Tigger bags and at one point I couldn't see either head. I lifted the top of the bag, heard snoring deep down within, and put it back down. They were warm and happy!

We spent the night near one of the AT shelters with a privy…Neither one of my girls would use it because it was "so stinky." They both preferred to do their business in the woods.

I was hoping that, by sleeping under the stars on their first backpacking trip, that they would accept it as the backpacking alternative, but we'll have to wait and see what their attitudes are in the Spring.

Thanks again for your post.
    -Kevin

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Although she is my princess she is no girly girl. She has no issue with taking care of business in the outdoors and the greater the adventure the happier her she is."

Right on ; )

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for sharing – great trip report!

(the cuben dog dish says it all)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Adorable. Well done, the both of you! (Need to tackle this myself.)

Cheers,

Rick

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I'll say it again: DO IT NOW!

You won't believe how fast your kids grow up, get busy, and are out on their own. Do it before it's too late!

Some of my fondest memories are of adventures like this one…

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Fantastic pictures, Thom!
    Thanks for sharing you little cutie with us. My daughter was always a bit of a tom-boy and I thought that was great! She has her own tom-boys now :)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks for sharing this, Thom. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old daughter that have started coming on overnight trips with me. This uninterrupted time together is about as good as it gets. I love seeing posts like this.

Ike

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This is quality Thom. Your daughter looks right at home with daddy out on the trail, very cool, very cool.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Great pics and reminds me of the fun my daughter and I used to have (she's now 14) but I did take my son (9yrs old) out this past weekend to the Tionesta Scenic area in NW Pennsylvania, part of the North Country Trail. A 14 mile hike in two days.

Jedd Cheshier

@jeddcheshier

Locale: Midatlantic

I take my daughter out a few times each year. If you don't mind, do you have any pics showing how the MLD pack fits her? How tall is she? What size clothes is she in? Sorry for the questions, but I've been thinking about getting one for my daughter who just turned 8.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

VERY cool! My daughter is a little younger, but I can't wait to get her on her first overnight out on the trail.

HJ

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

"Moxie would come over and check on my daughter about every hour throughout the night and then return to her sleep spot near by (I will add a picture later today)."

That's a great comment about…um…geez, it's just a great comment about your daughter, your dog, you being awake every hour to notice it, & life outdoors! Backpacking with kids is VERY different than by yourself or with friends…not better or worse, but different.

Where is the promised photo?

Tom

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

That looks great. I just logged on to post a trip report about my trip with my daughters. I'll have to try the gymnastics thing in the future too.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Moxie stayed at the head of the tarp keeping a close eye on my daughter throughout the night. Below is a picture, of Moxie, taken in the morning while my daughter was still sleeping.

Moxie

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools