Topic

East vs West or Boyscout trained vs BPL disciple

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports East vs West or Boyscout trained vs BPL disciple

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

From Sept 10 to Sept 13 I backpacked the SHT with a friend who is a Boyscout Troop Leader. Dave W. and Dave N.
    When we started Dave's pack weighed 45# and then he added his 10mm Glock. My pack was at 20.5# which included 2 liters of water due to the dry conditions. The 1st day we did 9 miles from the Temperance River SP to our campsite at Leveaux Pond. The route was hilly and hot but made interesting by the Sawtooth 100. This is a race held on the SHT each fall and includes a marathon, a 50 mile race and a 100 miler. We had runners going by us all day and at our campsite which was 1.5 miles from the last checkpoint and 7.5 form the finish we cheered the on for about 3 hours. It was actually very inspiring watching them go by. We found out the next morning that everyone who went by our site finished. In fact I saw one of our members " Matt Lutz" doing the 100 miler. I was trying out a GG SpinnTwinn with an AlpinLite 1.25 for the first time. Those two in conjunction with a Kooka Bay pad and a Katabatic Gear Palisade made for a great combo. GG SpinnTwinn and AlpinLite 1.25
    The next day we did 9.1 miles to the Poplar River in even hillier, warmer conditions. By the end of the day Dave W's butt was really dragging. After a good dinner he was in bed by 7 PM. He used a Jetboil and I was using a Tri Ti Sidewinder with a .6 liter pot in wood burning mode. The next morning we were on our way to a campsite on the Spruce Creek, a distance of 10.1 miles. The walking was much easier for Dave W as the weather moderated
    slightly and we stopped at a road crossing where he dropped 6# of extra clothes. Lightening up
    At night I woke up twice and the smell of the smoke from the Boundary Waters fire was so strong that for a second I was concerned it was coming up our draw. The next morning we were on the trail by 7:30 and reached Cascade River SP by 10 AM. By the end Dave was limping and pretty sore. He said that next year he would get in better shape and would get his pack weight down to 35#. All in all it was a good trip. The only thing I would do differently is make sure that my pot was deep enough for the Steripen Opti to work. The .6 liter doesn't work. Because we finished a day early I had some food left but after 3 trips this year I now know that 1.6# per day including packaging is the right amount for me. Dave W's pack ended at 37.5#.The end

Martha S.

@kitfox

Geez Louise. The only thing uglier than a pair of Crocs would be a pair of Crocs weighing down my backpack.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools