Topic

Surplus m-1949 sleeping bag. What do I do with it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Surplus m-1949 sleeping bag. What do I do with it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dennis rosloniec

@lpranal

Locale: great lakes

So I've acquired one of these, because the price was right, actually through a friend – "there's a down sleeping bag for $6!" so of course I bought it. To my dismay, it ended up being one of these:

http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-351/US-Military-Mummy-M-dsh-1949/Detail.bok

first thought: well, I can keep it in my car in the winter…

Of course the DIYer in me piped up: Get at the sweet, downy insides and stuff them inside of something else! Underquilt for the hammock! buy a cheap synthetic bag and fill it with down!

So what would an enterprising backpacker do with one of these monstrosities?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If it's like mine, it has lots of feathers in it. I wouldn't bother with myog on mine. I mostly use it for adding extra insulation for my cooler on roadtrips.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Eugene is right, a lot of feathers, had one years ago. I would just keep it around for car camping type uses.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I have an M1950 stove and a pair of WWII binoculars if you want some more valuable gear.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Build a collection of vintage military field equipment around it…

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

i have one i lend it out to scouts in my troop
    for trips maybe donate it to a local troop

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I had a well meaning, former military, boss give me one for free before I left for the PCT. I just thanked him politely. Mom gave me too many backhands for being ungrateful growing up. ;)

As with others, I just used it as an emergency/road trip bag stashed in my truck. Worked well for late night trail head truck bivies before starting a backpacking trip. (Hate to unpack my gear late at night just to pack it again in the morning!)

I ended up donating it to Goodwill after a gear purge, though. I also (finally!) got rid of my first 'real' backpacking sleeping bag: a Campmor 20F Holofill mummy bag. (egads!)

An older EMS -20F bag is now an emergency bag/road trip bag….

Personally, I like the idea of using the equipment for historical tributes. :)

FYI, a coolweb site if you want to see the history of military equipment:
    http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php

Greg Wheelwright
    Spectator

@gdw

This thread makes me feel really old since I used one of those during the winter while in the service. We preferred them to the newer models with synthetic fill because the m-1949 packed smaller and could be stuffed into a large ALICE pack.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

got one too, bought around 1982. still fluffs good, still warm enough to at least 30 degrees. Just HEAVY. Fabric is kind of ..rotten. Tears easily.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the car/winter emergency option.

Got a dog?

Goodwill?

Garage sale?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

7-8 pounds….jeez.
    Now you know why everybody used to carry axes in woods during the good old days…

Dennis rosloniec

@lpranal

Locale: great lakes

Well thanks for all the ideas, I've resigned myself to keeping it in the trunk. Paul's idea of using it for trailheads makes me regret the $6 I paid for it much less, I agree that unpacking everything (my sleeping bag always sits at the bottom of my pack) is a huge pain. I might even use the idea this weekend, depending on how the weather looks, I definitely wouldn't want to use it unless it's dry. It really is just a heavy bag of feathers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools