Topic

Advice Please – Tarp Vs. Mid for Island Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Advice Please – Tarp Vs. Mid for Island Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Ok, scenario is thus:

6 night 50 mile trip coming up on an island in the pacific. 50 degree temps with good amount of drizzle / marine layer misting going on and occassional rain.

I am blessed to have both an MLD Solomid in Cuben and a Cuben Grace Solo tarp. I really want to tarp this trip for views but I'm concerned the mist and fog / rain will drift under the grace solo and get my stuff all dewey and wet. Obviously the mid is better coverage cause it can snug down to the ground. These will be used along with MLD superlight Bivy. Will the bivy eliminate any need for worry with the tarp? Or should I just go conservative and take the solomid?

Advise me please!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Some islands have amazing bugs, and some get amazing storms. Do you know if either of these will be a factor? If either exist, and in consideration of the fog (read 100% humidity), I'd take the Solomid.

That reaction may be colored by the fact that my Solomid just arrived two days ago, and I'm excited to be using it next week!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

I'm leaning towards the solomid as well since there aren't any star opportunities likely with the marine layer as well. Not too buggy or stormy. I think it's gotta be the mid for only a 3.5 oz additional penalty.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

take the mid

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools