Topic

Speaking of Chili – Quinoa and Bean Chili with Tomatillos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Speaking of Chili – Quinoa and Bean Chili with Tomatillos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

This chili recipe came about because my darling husband was craving quinoa. It didn’t matter that we’d had quinoa soup for two days before, he still wanted something else with quinoa. His love of my vegan quinoa dishes always surprises me. I grumbled lovingly, and headed to the kitchen to see what I could create without having to run to the market. This is the recipe that came out of my kitchen experiment. Use a whole jalapeño pepper if you like a little more heat.

Vegan and Gluten Free
    Dehydration Time: 7–10 hours
    Makes 6 large servings

1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/2 small jalapeño pepper, minced
    ½ cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper*
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 10-ounce can condensed tomato soup
    ½ cup vegetable stock or water
    ¾ cup canned tomatillos, diced
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    1 28-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 19-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste

At Home
    Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and celery in the oil until softened. Put the quinoa in the pan and toast the seeds until they start to bounce in the pan. Add the jalapeño pepper, garlic, chili powder, ancho chili pepper, and cumin. Cook for 1 minute, then add the tomato soup and vegetable stock. Simmer for 10 minutes then add the tomatillos, beans, and lime juice. Simmer for 1 hour, add the cilantro, and season to taste.

Remove the chili from the heat and let it cool. Measure the chili and write this measurement on a sticky note. Place on lined dehydrator trays and dry for 7 to 10 hours. Place the dried chili in a ziplock freezer bag along with the sticky note.

At Camp
    Add enough boiling water to the chili mix in a pot to equal the measurement on your sticky note. Do not add the water first or you will have too much liquid. Once rehydrated you might have to reheat the chili.

Note
    I used a piece of a whole dried ancho chili pepper and ground it to a powder with a coffee grinder that I use exclusively for spices.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Ah, chili. It's already that time of the year!

Looks delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. Looking forward to giving it a try…

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I like this recipe but I would add more jalapenos and some crushed red pepper to it

We haven't been able to find red quinoa so we would use the reg quinoa we have

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thanks guys… generally when I make these things to my own tastes they are a lot spicier but I tend to tone it down a bit for the general public (and my kids).

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Oh, I do like spicy!

Which ingredients (in what amounts) do I need to monkey with to make it spicier without ruining it?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

If it is heat you are looking for, up the jalapeño amount by 1/4 to 1/2 a pepper. The seeds are the hottest part of the pepper so I'd leave them out unless you like it very hot. The recipe as it sits has a little background heat but you could definitely kick it up.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Will do. Thanks for that.

I was wondering, you wouldn't happen to have any Indian-themed quinoa recipes, would you? The first time I saw the chili recipe I thought with a few substitutions, a quinoa-based curry or biryani might be had…

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

adding 1/2 of a jalapeno isn't going to do much to spice it up. Add a couple leaving the seeds and membrane in

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I just posted this one here…

Red Quinoa and Curried Lentil Stew

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools