Topic

Trip destination ideas over thanksgiving?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip destination ideas over thanksgiving?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I really want to do some backpacking over the week off I have for Thanksgiving. Trouble is, I don't want to absolutely freeze… correction my friends who are going with me don't want to absolutely freeze. (looking for 50+ daytime, 20+ nighttime temps) The other problem is I live in good ole Starkville, Mississippi so nothing's really close. I was wondering if you had any trip destination suggestions. I was looking for something within driving distance (around 16 hrs or less) or near a major city that would be easy to fly into. We're looking at doing 4-6 days of hiking.

Thanks,
    Josiah

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Big Bend National Park? Within your driving and temperature range. I've thought about it in the past when looking for a November trip. Never pulled the trigger though so can't offer any more help.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

That was one of the places I was looking at. Does anyone know how busy it is that time of year and what the weather is like?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Thanksgiving is one of the busy weeks at the park, that being said, you can find plenty of solitude. It is the major campgrounds and the lodge in the Basin that really fill up. I am sure that the campsites in the Chisos also fill some too.

It is unlike any place you have ever been but it will be warm (60-80's). Like the rest of Texas the park has been in a tremendous drought but they have had a few inches of rain in the last few months but know that the springs will be running slow or not at all.

Great information over at BigBendchat.com

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If Big Bend is crowded, go to Big Bend Ranch State Park. There is a nice 3 day loop (Rancherias) there that used to have water, but since we've been almost a year with minimal (1-2") rain, the springs may not be running.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools