Topic

Synthetic Insulated Quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Synthetic Insulated Quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Locale: Arkansas!

I was surfing the web for a synthetic-insulated quilt to replace my old down bag. I came across the Fanatic Fringe PG Delta 30 degree quilt but the spotlite review on backpackinglight pointed out that the insulation was only sewn on the sides, which offers less protection for the insulation in the middle of the quilt, so you have to take care when stuffing it or you'll damage the insulation. Is this a major issue with this quilt? Would it be worth the money to purchase this quilt? Also, are there any more synthetic-insulated quilt options on the market? Thanks, Jordan

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Jorden,
    What is the size of the Quilt.

That is the way I make mine and I used Polarguard Delta. My quilts are about 36 inches wide and are 70 inches long. I am not overly careful how I pack mine and I have had no problems yet. They are small because they are made to go inside my Bivy.

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

Jordan, I had Fanatic Fringe's Polarguard 3D quilt and loved it. I never knew you were supposed to be careful stuffing it…never had a problem.

If you're looking for a low-cost, lightweight and simple synthetic quilt look no further. The only drawbacks I found were it's fairly large stuffed size and the lack of straps to keep the quilt tucked in tight.

I found the temperature rating to be as accurate as you could expect. I have slept in it, combined with a Vapr bivy and Patagonia Micropuff vest and regular hiking clothes, on late spring trips into the upper 20s. Other nights I slept a bit cold in the upper 30s, but all that demonstrates is that there are more factors than the loft of your insulation at play.

For a direct response to your questions:

"Is this a major issue with this quilt?"

No.

"Would it be worth the money to purchase this quilt?"

Absolutely.

"Also, are there any more synthetic-insulated quilt options on the market?"

Not that I am aware of. Ray Jardine sells a make-your-own-quilt kit for under $100, but I'd rather not deal with the hassle of sewing for something you can buy already made. I heard that backpackinglight.com/Bozeman Mountain Works will be selling synthetic quilts sometime in the future, but that may or may not come to be and if it does you may have to deal with pre-ordering and waiting several weeks or months, and it might possibly sell out before you get around to purchasing.

One last thing…if you buy the Fanatic Fringe quilt, don't hesitate to add more length to it (maybe up to 8 inches) than you think you need. I ordered mine in a length I thought would be longer than necessary (I think I added 5 inches or so) so it would be extra cozy, but it arrived as a perfect fit (ie, where I expected it to fit if I hadn't added 5 inches).

Terry Boldt

@teedee

As mentioned the Ray Jardine quilt is a good option. Not that much sewing and you determine the size of the quilt according to your measurements. So you get a quilt made exactly for you.

Ray Jardine doesn't like the Polarguard Delta. He uses the 3D instead. You might want to visit his web site for his take on the Polarguard.

If you don't want to do some simple sewing and stuffing the quilt bothers you, you could always get the Fanatic Fringe quilt and add quilting as is done for the Jardine quilt. Simple to do, no real sewing, and you could probably add the quilting in less than 1/2 hr. Just a small peice of cardboard, a long needle (say 3" or 4") and some hairy yarn. Simple to do.

Jordan Calicott

@shortmancal

Locale: Arkansas!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I think I would just rather buy a quilt than make one because I don't own a sewing machine or know how to sew (however, I will learn in the future as a hobby). Dane, since you have never had any problems with your quilt by stuffing it, I think I will go with one of Fanatic Fringes quilts. I read Ray Jardine's opinion on Delta & according to his infoemation given, 3-D is overall better. Plus, the 30 degree 3-D version Fanatic Fringe quilt is $30 cheaper than the Delta version & the Delta version is only 2 oz lighter, so it's not worth the extra money just to save weight. I think I've decided on the 3-D quilt. Thanks again!

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

Jordan, if you can wait, BMW is supposed to be putting out a line of synthetic quilts. I have not heard anything about them yet, but I thought they were to be released at the same time as the Cocoon line (April 2007?). It may be worth the wait.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Jordan,

Building on your comment the you don't sew nor have a sewing machine but would like to in the future …

Until a few months ago, I said the same thing. Then, I'm not really sure what happened, I think I just read too many of Bill F.'s posts, I went to Wallyworld, bought their cheapest Brother sewing machine ($80) and ordered some material from Thru-hiker, now they'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from my sewing machine.

As someone who has no talents, I encourage anyone to just jump in, even if you only sew stuff sacks. It's fun and relaxing.

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

It seems that aside from Ray Jardine's opinion, the consensus is that Delta is actually better than 3D. Exactly why that is I'm not sure, but I'd guess a better loft/weight ratio is one of the primary reasons.

I bought the 3D because I was short on money and needed to save up for a big trip. The extra 2oz for the 3D isn't going to break your back, but neither will the extra $30 for the Delta break your bank account. So I guess it's up to you…how much is 2oz worth?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools