Topic

Arcteryx Supply Low?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arcteryx Supply Low?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

I'm trying to find Arcteryx gear on sale but I can't even find the gear, is there some imbalance in supply and demand this year?

Vig S

@vinuneuro

I'm seeing that with a lot of companies. I think '10 stuff is on its way out and '11 stuff isn't in stock yet. Unfortunately it seems like the good Arcteryx deals were sold out by a a month or so ago.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

hit the dead bird store on dollarton in north van

or get some other brand …. unless you MUST have the holy bird for some reason

if you really want dead bird, there are always KFC coupons ;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The retailers are playing it safe (or so they think) by cutting inventories to the bare minimum. I saw that last Spring in the gardening supplies market— just before getting laid off! I haven't read the latest retail business reports, but my impression is that people are only buying the bare minimum. The fallacy is that you miss sales when you don't have product available.

This economy has to be hard on more luxury-oriented brands like Arcteryx. There you stand in front of the racks at REI, looking for a rain shell. On the way you heard the Dow took another nose dive and they laid off all your counterparts in another city. Are you going to buy the $69 sale Precip or the $400 Arcteryx shell? That rolls down to the store and employees, and the local tax base as well.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Patagoina said a couple of years ago, that resessions are good for them and make their business grow because they dont make "disposable gear"

Bottom line though, you wont find much arcteryx on sale because they don't want it be to on sale. the professionals get it for a good price and they know people who want the name will pay for it. the people who will only buy it on sale isn't really in their marketing plan or their target customer.

Andy Schill

@aschill

Backcountry.com's outlet had a decent amount of dead bird stuff on sale.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I can only comment on their pro-deal thing (and so the company's stock), but they've been stocking far less than they used to.

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Thanks for the insight guys.

I like the Gamma MX series jackets for Arcteryx for winter, or hiking/mountaineering at altitude. Also the rampart pants with its super light, fast dry and stretchy fabric is amazing, to the point I've replaced all of my pants with it.

I like to think it's about the fabric, the cut, not the brand, but dead bird seems to have it in several categories. I've tried on softshells from 4 other major companies and the Gamma MX is the best fit for me and seems to have the highest quality.

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

I also don't agree Arcteryx doesn't sell to people on sale. There's alot of ways to sell to cheapskates while protecting high margin sales, and Arcteryx espiecally must use this to get alot of their revenue.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

shifted to leaf. it might pain some lovers of the brand to find out that a large portion of their revenue comes from being part of military/industrial complex (insert wink here). they make great kit that you are as likly to read about on soldiersystems.com as in outside magazine. the retail consumer just isn't as impotant to many outdoor companies as they had been in the past.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools