Topic

Yosemite weeklong trail? advice.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Yosemite weeklong trail? advice.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Orr
    BPL Member

@matto

So I would like to do a week long hiking trip with my father who is 70 years old. He is still very active and cycles to and from work, swims regularly etc …

I am in the military aand will be stationed in San Diego come next May.

I originally thought of the JMT, but really feel this would be more than pushing it with him and don't feel he would enjoy it as much as he could due to the exertion and length of the trail.

Can anyone recommend any 5-7 day trails in the Yosemite NP or surrounding NP's that are truly breathtaking and would be possible for an "elderly" active guy like my father to complete and enjoy?

This will more than likely be the last hiking trip that my father and I make together, so I would like the scenery to be as spectacular as possible.

thanks for any advice in advance.
    matt

Chad Anderson

@kiddzoso

Locale: N. California

I would take a look at hiking from the top of the high sierra camps down to the valley. If you just went Volgelsang (Fletcher Lake) – > Merced Lake -> Yosemite Valley, you could do that in two nights, three days, much less time than you wanted. But if you take a look at the map, there are a ton of other places you could check out, small loops, etc. You could take it easy, stop by Emeric Lake too, or check out the Sunrise Camp, add a couple days here and there. From the top of the camps down into the valley it's a lot of downhill–some people actually prefer climbing. But the views are incredible. and you'd get a chance to see the alpine heights, the huge ponderosa pine forests in the middle elevations, and then the cliffs and waterfalls that make Yosemite famous (if you're going when they'll still be running). Bring trekking poles. :)

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

If "truly spectacular" is important, I'd choose Evolution Basin (Kings Canyon NP) by a mile over anything in Yosemite.

The same question has been on my mind, as I'd like to take my own dad on what could be his last b-pack trip, somewhere in the Sierra. Evolution is what I would probably choose, and I have been most everywhere.

Do the 53-mile, all-on-trail loop, starting at North Lake and ending at South Lake. If you spread it over 7 days, that's 7.5 miles/day. Does that daily distance sound doable for him?

Permits are issued by Inyo National Forest. You are asking for a Paiute Pass entry. These get snatched up months in advance. Check the schedule on the Inyo website to find out the first day you can reserve a permit for the date you want.

Drive up the night before and sleep at a campground at high elevation, to get acclimated. Lots of car campgrounds in that area.

Park the car at your end point (South Lake) and hitch a ride the short distance to your starting point at North Lake. Lots of friendly hikers around who will give you a ride.

– Elizabeth

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

After looking at the map that would be a fairly easy and scenic loop. I might try that one myself :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Do the 53-mile, all-on-trail loop, starting at North Lake and ending at South Lake. If you spread it over 7 days, that's 7.5 miles/day. Does that daily distance sound doable for him?"

When I did this same trail in early August, there were lots of people hiking it south-to-north and most had it planned as six or seven days. I went north-to-south in four days.

"Permits are issued by Inyo National Forest. You are asking for a Paiute Pass entry. These get snatched up months in advance. Check the schedule on the Inyo website to find out the first day you can reserve a permit for the date you want."

I was quite amazed when I walked up and received a same-day permit. I got it and was on the trail two hours later.

"Park the car at your end point (South Lake) and hitch a ride the short distance to your starting point at North Lake. Lots of friendly hikers around who will give you a ride."

I finished at South Lake, and no drivers wanted to pick me up for 2.5 hours. I guess that said a lot about my appearance. You will be carrying a map. On the back of the map you print large "RIDE" and maybe you will get lucky.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools