Topic

thinsulate

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear thinsulate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

I have a roll of thinsulate that I bought about fifteen years ago, and I was thinking of using it to make an insulated jacket. But most people seem to use primaloft or something similar these days. I am wondering why thinsulate fell out of favor. Does it have less warmth for its weight or something?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There are many varieties of Thinsulate and so this is a generic answer. It is composed exclusively of fine fibers (65% Olefin/35% Polyester). It does a superior job of reflecting thermal radiation and not compressing, compared to high loft insulations like Polarguard or Primaloft. As a result, it is about 1.7 times warmer for thin applications under pressure, like gloves, boots, diving suits, and tight fitting fashion-wear.

It doesn’t compress well to allow stuffing into a small pack. It is much heavier and doesn’t provide any warmth advantage for applications (jackets and sleeping bags) requiring thicknesses above about 3/4”.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

E,
    What about killer insulated socks? In holiday colors. Thinsulate is really good in socks. That could take care of your holiday gift problem.

shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

the socks are good idea. Do you know of a pattern for sewn socks or slippers? I make knitted socks all the time, but I don't know how to make sewn ones.

Once I made a frostline kit of down booties, but that was thirty years ago.

I can see that it wouldn't compress very well, so that it wouldn't be ideal for a jacket stuffed into a pack.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Elizabeth,
    You might get an idea for your socks on this
    thread

I made a pattern for a sock of sorts and then used Cuben material for them. It made a VB sock. I made a couple of patterns and used scrap material till I got them to fit. I think you could do something like it with your Thinsulate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools