Topic

My first MYOG (greatly influenced by members of BPL) 6 x 8.5 tarp- 1.3oz calendered ripstop nylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first MYOG (greatly influenced by members of BPL) 6 x 8.5 tarp- 1.3oz calendered ripstop nylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    charles nguyen

@hanphi

Locale: Pacific NW

I've been bitten by the MYOG bug. I did some research on tarps, shopped around for great deals, and practiced on my sister's sewing machine before tackling the project. I was really impressed with Oware 6×8 flat tarp (images of tarp from http://www.hikeabovetheclouds.com/oware-6×8-tarp-setups/) so I modeled my tarp after their design. I found 72" 1.3oz calendered ripstop nylon rolls on ebay at $3/yd. This turned out to be great because I didn't have to do any fancy seams. I ordered 3 yards and I was done. The fabric, thread, gross grain, mineral spirit, and silicone came out to be around $30. This was great practice before advancing to the SMD Meteor bivy.6 x 8.5 tarp6x8.5 tarp2tie-outcorner tie outs

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Give us a report once you've tested it in rain and wind.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice job!

Why didn't you do conventional grosgrain tieouts: Fold over, with the tarp between the folded grosgrain, loose zigzag:

loop

charles nguyen

@hanphi

Locale: Pacific NW

Jerry,
    I like your idea of positioning the tarp between the gross grain tieouts for strength. I'm new at this MYOG and I'm grateful for the helpful inputs from BPL. I will give this a try on the scraps for sewing experience. Now that we have a sewing machine, my fiancee wants me to help her out with window treatments. oh boy…..
    Thanks,
    Charles

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

grosgrain loops – not my idea : )

My wife makes me repair comforter and stuff like that

My wife talks about making her clothes – not going to happen, although I've done minor repairs

Window treatments – maybe

My wide bought the sewing machine for herself, hardly ever used it, mine now

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools