Topic

UL Carbon Fiber Buck Saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Carbon Fiber Buck Saw

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I haven't been posting my projects on here lately, just on my website, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of this one just because it ended up being so much lighter than I thought it would be when I designed it.

Made from carbon fiber, nylon connectors, titanium spring pins, and a stock 12" buck saw blade.

weight: 2.75 ounces.

I have a webpage up with more info and pictures if you are intersted.
    UL Carbon FIber Buck Saw

UL Buck Saw

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Neat. Now we want to see the speed test results.

You should put a big label on the side that says, "No batteries required."

–B.G.–

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Very cool. Tried it out yet? In my mind, trying to hold/push/pull the saw by the CF tube might be a challenge.

Ryan

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Steven,

Great work! As usual, I'm blown away by the stuff you make. You are in a class of your own.

You say you made the nylon fittings? How does one even start to do that? I've used off-the-shelf nylon plumbing fittings but never considered making my own from scratch. And I've never even heard of a titanium spring pin before.

I might have to challenge you on this being the lightest buck saw ever, however. In the early 1970s Larry Penberthy (father of MSR) sold a similar saw blade that could be connected to the top, inverted U shaped aluminum tubing piece, of the MSR frame packs sold at the time. When assembled it created a buck saw with a depth of cut from 6" to 12" depending on the size of the pack's top piece. On one backpack trip he demonstrated the saw by cutting through a 6+" diameter tree that had fallen across the trail. I carried the blade for all the years that I used the MSR pack but never used it to cut anything.

The reason I challenge your "lightest" claim is that the frame of his saw was multiple use with the primary use being the top part of his frame pack. So the net weight of the saw was the blade plus a couple of screws.

I would call your saw the lightest, self contained, non multiple use saw in this universe, however.

Keep up the good work.

Daryl

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

He Steve,
    great to hear something from you.
    The saw looks excellent and you did once more a great job.

do you have a source for the connectors

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well done, but what are you planning on cutting with it?

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Oh, Steve, this is super cool!

Beni – Steve is basically an unmoved mover. The source for the connectors is himself.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Nice! You got my design beat by ~1oz, it looks good. I went with a u design for depth of cut. What size wood are you able to do with that thing? How much will you sell me a set of the nylon fittings for? ;-) pleease!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

I've only cut a 2X4 into a few pieces in my garage but it seems to cut just like a bucksaw :). The diameter of the handle is a bit small to hold but you can place your thumb on the back of the hinged connector for stability and it works well. I sometimes bring a small 5" saw in the winter to cut wood so this is really just built to be lighter and better than that.

Darryl: Here I am thinking I built the lightest saw and some guy beat me to it 40 years ago! Actually, thanks for the info. It would be great to just bring a blade and mount it to a tent or hiking pole. You have got me thinking.

Beni: Devin is correct, I designed the connectors myself so there really isn't a source for them.

Josh: A U shape is great because you can get longer strokes as you cut through the wood, but to be honest the nylon connectors were fairly expensive so I changed it up to save a bit of moola – not to mention it ended up being a bit lighter. Ideally you would want to cut wood that had a max diameter of about 4". You could probably do ~5" but you wouldn't get much cutting stroke as you cut through it and you might bust up your knuckles. As for the connectors, something tells me you have the facility and equipment to make your own :). Got a picture of your saw? How did you connect your CF tubes?

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Wow that is awesome! I might be interested if you start selling these.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Steve, this is simply amazing – just like all your other amazing work!

This is a bushcrafter's tool in an ultralight package!

Brian Austin

@footeab

Uh I see no ability to tension the blade… AM I blind?

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Wow. Looks great Steve.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Brian,

Here's the answer to your tensioning question: The aluminum tension block is inserted into the opposite nylon connector and a nylon screw and wingnut is used to pull the blade tight.

"AM I blind?" I don't know the answer to this one.

Daryl

Brian Austin

@footeab

Excellent.

I have seen "lightweight" saws where one just "bends" the saw till the blade can be placed in a slot and that is their "tension".

I still have to wonder about the tension on the blade with tubes that small of CF tube. Only reason I bring it up is that a low tension blade is a horror to try and cut wood with and even worse with green wood and not even worth trying to use on a piece of wood under compressive pressure.

I grew up using a curved hand saw that cut like a dream about 1lb and 24" long. It was far faster to whip out this saw attached to my tool belt and cut a 2×4 or 2×8 than trying to drag a powered skill saw around when working construction. Then people convinced me to try the Hooped tension blades like this one. Lets just say they were all garbage in comparison. The only one that I ever had in my hands worth a darn, had a VERY heavy hoop with the ability to create a VERY high tension load on the blade in question. Making it far heavier than the hand saw ever was that I got from my Grandfather.

PS. I could be blind =)

PPS. I carry a 5.5oz handsaw for self trail maintenance. It cuts up to 8" diameter logs. Obviously not as light, but at least it doesn't get stuck on every stroke through a log or twist and shudder. Blade folds back into the handle so the teeth are hidden while transporting. A not too insignificant proposition when carrying for 99.999% of the time with exposed sharp objects being jounced and jostled around.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Great work, Steve! That looks pretty darned sweet. You have all the other BPL fabricators drooling…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Glad you guys like it. I was playing around with it for a while yesterday and cut up a bunch of wood. At one point, I bottomed out the tension block against the back of the nylon fitting, so I cut 1/2" off the end to get a bit more tension travel. Then, because of the extra force on the threaded rod I stripped the nylon threads out of the wingnut. So, I'm going to replace it with a metal screw and see how it goes from there. Hopefully the 1/2" I took off the end of the tension block weighs more or less the same as the metal fasteners – don't want to add any weight to it :)

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I dunno how I missed this before. F-ing awesome saw man.

I can't help but think the nylon is going to be a problem for the tension side long term regardless however, my experience with that type of hardware has always been disappointing. Maybe machine the tension side connector out of 7075 Al or Ti?

Anyway, regardless, let me know what I've got to do to get one. ;)

Brian Austin

@footeab

The blade… Did you salvage it from a longer blade? Is that what I am seeing? Or is there somewhere selling 1 foot long blades? I think most DYI's here on this forum could easily replicate the rest.

Rather curious how this saw setup compares to my curved handsaw that I made.

Thanks!

EDIT: UHUMW would better than nylon if you are maching for the same weight would be stronger if you wish to stick to plastic.

PS> I will 2nd what Javon stated. Nylon creeps under tension and said saw will have a low life expectancy because of it. If you had the time, machine the end pieces out of G10,aluminum, or carbon fibered epoxy. G10 would depend on the stress direction and may not be able to be used for this reason.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have concerns about the nylon aswell. But to be honest, I will see how it holds up. The best convincing I could give is that "it's stronger than you think" but like most of my stuff…well lets just say I like to push the limits a bit :)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Brian, it's a stock blade from my hardware store. Not sure if it is an odd size, as they appeared to be available from the 2 stores I went to. I haven't seen your curved hand saw so I couldn't comment on how it would compare – got a pic?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I think you ought to patent it, market, and sell it.
    Great idea and well done.

You will probably need better connectors though.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Steven

I do have facilities to build one, but I barely have time to type this these days. I was looking to go straight to cutting wood, vs cutting stuff in the shop ;-) I dont currently have possession of my saw, I'll post pics "if" I get it back.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I would love to see a rectangular, 18+ inch carbon fiber bucksaw for cutting a serious all night fire load in winter. The 24 inch trailblazer is a little heavy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools