Topic

How much water for Grand canyon rim to river

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning How much water for Grand canyon rim to river

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I am planning Boucher-Hermit loop in the grand canyon in early October with my family. How much water do I need to carry up and down? I usually backpack SE Appalachia and hate carrying extra water. Give me advice, friends in the southwest.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Buhler.…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Variables include

1. distance
    2. how long on trail
    3. ambient temperatures
    4. personal physiology (conditioning, etc)

In November from south kaibab to bright angel campground (20's-30's at top, 60's at bottom), I'd carry 2 to 3 liters.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Are you hiking the entire Boucher, either to creek or the river in one day? To the creek is about 10 miles. Figure about 6 hours hiking. So minimum 3 liters each and if you sweat alot, more. If going only partway down, plan 5 liters each since you'll dry camp the first night.

Boucher Creek runs years round so you can refill there.

About 5 miles to Hermit Creek. Figure 3-4 hours, so minimum 2 liters.

And then 7 miles to the rim. Figure another 6 hours and 3 liters minimum.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Thanks, Steven. 3 liters is not too bad at all. I am just used to eastern backpacking where I carry no water most of the time. We plan to do the Boucher/Hermit loop in 3 days with a Side trip to Monument Creek. I will make sure we all have at least 3 liters.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

And thanks to John too. Sounds like 3 liter capacity will be just about right. I usually carry no to little water in areas I go, so this helps a lot.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

If you are doing the side trip to Monument as part of the day you hike from Boucher to Hermit, from Hermit Creek, one liter of water is more than enough to get you there.

Distance to Hermit Rest from Monument is just a bit more than distance from Hermit Creek, so if you go first thing in the morning on your 3rd day and hike out from there, then carry one liter over to Monument, and then tank up and carry 3 liters out from there.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Also on the hike out up the Hermit Trail, there is the Santa Maria spring, so maybe could get by with 2 liters to there, and then tanks with 1 liter for the final push to the rim.

I've never bothered, but it is available if you choose to use it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools