Topic

Sauntering in the Sangres – Latir Peak Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sauntering in the Sangres – Latir Peak Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Bighorn Sheep

There are some trips where I want to walk all day and immerse myself in the rhythms of the day. Watch the sun rise as I break camp and walk into the twilight of the waning day.

A trip where many miles are covered and where much elevation is gained.

This trip was not that kind of a trip.

It was a trip of a slower pace. Where we are in camp early and where we sleep to the sound of the falling rain.

It was a trip with Adrianna.

And it was an enjoyable one.

The chosen trip for Labor Day Weekend was to the Latir Peaks Wilderness in northern New Mexico.

The web page link sums up this area best:

Relatively unknown and untraveled, the Latir Peak Wilderness is classic southern Rocky Mountain high country-emerald meadows, alpine grasslands and tundra, small, clear lakes, spruce-fir forest and some of New Mexico's highest peaks.

From Latir Peak's rounded summit, look north and you can see, hazy in the distance, the jagged fang of Colorado's 14,317 -foot Blanca Peak; the view to the south reveals 13,161-foot Wheeler Peak, New Mexico's highest mountain. In the company of southern Rocky Mountain giants such as these, the grassy 12,000-foot mountains of the Latir Peak Wilderness might seem easy to overlook. Indeed, many people do, for this, the fifth-smallest New Mexico wilderness, attracts few visitors. Yet four of the state's 20 highest mountains-Venado Peak (12,734 feet), Latir Peak (12,708), Latir Mesa (12,692), and Virsylvia Peak (12,594)-are here.

The intimacy of the area was just right for the trip Adrianna and I wanted to do. Small and scenic with low mileage.

Adrianna is working full time while in pursuit of her masters degree ; any free time spent together is a valuable commodity.

And the Latir Peaks Wilderness would prove to be the perfect place to spend this holiday weekend together.

Read more…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools