Topic

MYOG Tent Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tent Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

I have a SMD Skyscape and do not want to use trekking poles anymore. I also do not want to buy the $50 UL poles. Anyone have any MYOG ideas for light weight tent poles?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I made a set of aluminum tarp poles from materials from Quest Outfitters. My set is similar to the MLD carbon tarp poles except they weigh 0.2 z. more and cost me $20 or so. Work great.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Buy from tarp tent. 5 $

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

thanks for the replies, looks like TT is the way to go so far

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

There have been a few posts from folks who got used carbon shaft golf clubs dirt cheap and used them; but never understood how they could be long enough.

If you don't mind the poles bowing under tension, then the ones under 1/2" diameter should be fine.

If you do mind, and want something stiff like trekking poles, you need thicker ones. If you want them already manufactured, look for a sale on avalanche rescue probes, or possibly used/damaged ones. If you can make them, buy some carbon tubing over 1/2" diameter from a kite materials company like Goodwinds. If you want them to fold up, you'll need ferrules, so you'll need to find carbon tubing that will telescope snugly into the larger tubing. The kite companies obligingly provide both inner and outer diameters. There are lots of ways to anchor the shock cord.

Quest also sells the larger diameter Easton alloy poles, with ferrules, which would be stiffer also; but you may find them too heavy.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Thanks again for the replies. I ordered a couple of the $5 45" poles from TT. I will see how they work and go from there.

Daniel Lemieux

@dichotomous

carbon arrows, lots of options, designed for serious abuse

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I shot comprtative arrchery for 7year and worked in a shop for 2 and you need a very stiff shaft size something like a larger diameter goldtip 30x or Easton full bore since they are much larger diameter then a standard shaft the are a lot stiffer and may handle use as a tent pole you need really strong conection point though

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I've been down this road back and forth, and it's just not worth it. By the time you get some decent shafts, you need shock cord, end tips, connectors, etc., plus labor, and some cheap $4*" Al tarp poles are only like $15 each… Carbon ones I've seen for $30 each…

the only way it would work is if you already has stuff laying around you could cut up and reuse. If you are buying all the parts, just skip a few Starbucks trips and buy some pre-made poles.

BM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools