Topic

Tarp Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I'm shopping for a tarp to combine with my new Vapr bivy, and I'm curious to see what others are using or would recommend.

I'll use the combo for solo trips in the NC/VA mountains in relatively mild, 3-season conditions. My trips tend to be short (2-3 days), and I can usually reschedule if the weather forecast looks unpleasant (lots of rain, etc.).

Since the bivy provides good protection from spray and bugs, I'm leaning toward something small (5×8?), simple (no beaks, etc.), and inexpensive (under $100). Nonetheless, since I'm somewhat new to tarp camping, I'd appreciate some suggestions from those of you with more experience.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hard to beat the Golite poncho tarp. Its only about $45. Durable material and of course it doubles as a poncho.

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

You might want to start here – – http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00174.html
    Then add in your own thoughts on the tarps on this site, Gossamers' site and Mountain Laurel Designs' site.

Mike Maurer

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I have 2 MLD tarps and love them. Previously, Ron had 5×9 flat tarps (no catenary ridge) in silnylon ($55, 8 oz) and spinnaker ($90, 5.5 oz). He has closed down the site until January to hire some more workers and revise his product line. I would guess he will be offering similar products. The tarps I have are very well made and I love them. Ron seems like a nice guy and he is willing to modify gear he has on his site as well as make custom products.
    That's just my experience. I've heard good things about Oware and Gossamer Gear, but I don't don't have any experience with either of them.

Adam

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

After reading your reply, Mike, I realize that I framed my title and question a bit more broadly than I'd intended. What I'm really after is advice from other tarp/bivy users — in general, do you find that a 5×8 flat tarp plus lightweight bivy provides enough protection for the conditions that I've described above? Or, in similar circumstances, do you find that you're more comfortable with a larger tarp, one with a catenary cut,a tarp with beaks (GG SpinnShelter, etc.), etc? The worst weather that I'm likely to see is a summer thunderstorm, but those can be pretty severe around here.

Also, thanks for pointing out the Golite Poncho/Tarp, Daniel. I was aware that they added one to their line in the last year or two, but I'd never taken a close look. The price is hard to beat, and the design looks nice (plenty of tie-outs, etc.).

David Wills

@willspower3

I use a 5×9. I found 8' was too short for me at 6'2", but it may work for others. I had used a 7×10 tarp, but it felt to big to me. I primarily use the 5×9 without a bivy, but set the tieouts about 4-5" above the ground in A-frame style, so blowing rain isn't a problem. It fits snug, has easy setup, and is manageable to fold up neatly. I think a key to using them is a low, wide pitch. Like all tarping, site selection is important. I also use synthetic insulation with quilts that are only quilted on the liner, so they act like bivies in a way. Hope this helps

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have the Equinox 5×8 and 8×10 flat tarps, and the GoLite poncho tarp. The GoLite is slightly longer and slightly narrower than the 5×8, maybe 4.5×8.5 feet. It's also made of a slightly heavier fabric, and seems very nicely made.

The 8×10 size is easy to use and pretty bombproof. I usually recommend this size to new tarpistas, because it offers more protection with a larger 'sweet spot.' But the 5×8 with a bivy sure works, and I've survived a surprise late March blizzard under it. Site selection is *crucial* with the smaller tarp, though.

I am thinking about making something similar to the 7×9 foot tarps sold here at BPL, which taper from front to back and have a catenary curve in the main seam. (I am even considering modifying my 8×10 tarp in this way.) This would provide more coverage and more headroom at weights approaching the 5×8.

I can't comment on the GoLite yet, since it hasn't seen any backcountry use.

Have fun.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ernie,
    I'm 6'2", but still use a 8'4" x5 poncho/tarp in a half pyramid or with a hammock. With any other configuration, I need a 9×5. However, I find the extra length makes a poncho or cape unwieldy.

Steven Hardy

@hardyhiker1

Is the hole for the head in the middle of the Golite Poncho Tarp or is it offset to the front? I have an Integral Designs Poncho Tarp, which is 8 X 5 with the hole in the middle and I find that is does not quite cover my pack in the back.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

The Golite poncho tarp has the hood offset to the front. It also has snaps that allow you shorten the back. I believe if you use the snaps and shorten the back the hood ends up more or less in the middle.

Dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools