Topic

Help! Am I really prepared?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help! Am I really prepared?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

Howwwdy, y'all.
    I dont post too much, but I really frel I have a valid topic here. I knew this would be the place to get some real advice, so hear me out n here goes:
    Next friday I am attempting my ver first PCT section hike. I chose the stretch of trail between Snoqualmie and Stevens pass(es) in WA.
    I understand the weather has been a bit sketchy for folks in that area this year, so I am iffy about whether or not this gearlist will get me by…ive already dialed in my menu, and i'm no stranger to long hikes…just unsure about the conditions. I know the cascades can be treacherous. Please forgive the lack of weight(s), I lost my scale in a recent move. I know from experience that my packweight for 5 days (wet. Fuel, water, food) weighs in at 18lbs. Thats with 2L of H2o, I plan to only carry 1L on this trip as it seems as though water will be plentiful.
    Cap. 3 tops & bottoms
    Running shorts (worn over thermals. I am a HOT hiker, and sweaty. Pants are too much for me untill the snowy season)
    Wicking Tee
    Patagonia imsulated vest
    Fleece hat/gloves
    Patagonia Torrentshell pullover
    1pair smartwool sox, 1 pair Injinji socks (i hike in the injinji's. No blisters:)
    New Balance MT101s
    20degree Lafuma mummybag, converted to a quilt. (1lb 12oz. Very proud of this Syn weight savings)
    Full length ridgerest (i normally rock a torso zlite. Opting for the Reg. 'ridge to assist in insulation)
    Tarptent Contrail, 5 ti stakes.
    Modified recycled rei pack.
    My quam is whether ill be prepared should a squall roll through and/or temps plummet (like they always do when I have concerns like this).
    :.
    Should I bring an extra insulation layer?
    has anyone been to that region on any ul's?
    The forums over at NWHikers.net dont seem to be as helpful with lightweight gear options as many hikers here are..
    Any input will be graciously accepted and thuroughly comsidered:)
    Many thanks!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nick,

You didn't post any weights on your list, making it pretty hard to offer any insights. Also, the list is sort of incomplete. You'll need to list EVERY item in order to get accurate data.

I started a thread titled:
    Suggested GEAR LIST ETIQUETTE

– LINK –

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31018&skip_to_post=262364#262364

I started this thread because there are some key points that really help when you post a gear list.

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

Thanks for poiting me in the right direction, Mike! I'll have some accurate weights and the rest of my gearlist up by tonight. Unfortunately spreadsheets are a NOGO due to my living style…no pc, just a smartphone.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools