Topic

Attaching Photon to Beenie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Attaching Photon to Beenie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Franklin

@junto01

Has anyone attempted or figured out a way to semi-permanently attach a photon light to a beenie? I say "semi-permanent" because it would be nice to be able to remove the photon from the beenie to use as a flashlight as needed as well as having it tightly attached to the beenie to keep it from falling off.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I haven't had the need myself but you could attach some Velcro to the Photon and to the beanie. I'd put the fuzzy side on the hat so it doesn't snag on itself.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

BPL's own Mike Clelland did so w/ a different light – I believe you can find it in his great (recently published) book, too!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The Photon Freedom comes with a clip that you can just clip on to a hat

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi Jon,
    If you talk about the Photon Freedom, you can use the clip Jerry says, or…… do what I did (lighter). Mind you, I attached it to a wide-brimmed hat, not to a beanie. Suppose pictures will be clear enough.

1. Front view
    Front view

2. Side view
    Side view

3. Light attached
    Light attached

4. Final result
    Final result

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice!

Yeah, that clip is a bit heavy, 0.2 ounces : )

That doesn't seem too heavy, but the flashlight is 0.25 ounces so it's weird to have the clip almost double the weight

And it's the only LED flashlight with a decent user interface:

If you push and let go, it comes on full intensity. If you push again it turns off.

If you push and hold, it comes on with lowest intensity and gradually gets brighter until you let go

At low intensity, it lasts 100+ hours which is about the same as a 3 AAA LED flashlight. Maybe this is bright enough to use around camp, read. What does a 3AAA LED flashlight weigh, 3 ounces?

I think you can get a Photon for $10 on the internets. It says it's made in the USA from U.S. and foreign parts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools