Topic

Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"material that appears to be superior in every way"

Appear is the operative word.
    It may remain that to you but I am convinced that once folk get over the initial buzz maybe some will see that no fabric can be best for all in every situation.
    (this happened with spinnaker,Epic, eVent and various proprietary fabrics that have come and gone and will keep happening with every new fabric)
    For example you will still will get misting ,probably more so than fabrics that absorb water .
    If you like to spend some time inside the tent under the sun (afternoon nap or just to be away from insects and the sun) I am convinced that Cuben will be a lot less "superior" than silnylon.
    Some , like me , also prefer a bit more privacy inside a shelter, so here again , to me, silnylon is better.
    Also do keep in mind that silnylon has been used in tents for over 30 years so it may not be as bad as you think.
    No doubt more manufacturers will use it at least as an experiment for a few runs but I don't expect any major player to switch entirely to it.

BTW, my comment has nothing to do with the shelter you should choose.
    I use one and played with the other and I cannot see any similarities.
    By that I mean that if you like one you probably will not like the other.

Franco

surf1div1
    BPL Member

@surf1div1

Locale: Southern California

Well, I went through the same quandry as the OP and tried out the Moment (thanks to Henry) while awaiting my Sublite 2010. I own the Sublite and it's been a decent kit for a shelter and while I didn't experience a whole lot of rain over the year that I've owned it, I thought I would add my perspective for your consideration. The Tarptent is a great tent in it's simplicity. As stated, I tried out the Moment and it's so easy to setup. My Sublite is pretty comparable to the Moment and I would give the nod to the Moment for ease of setup. It's almost freestanding in relation to the Hexamid, and obviously takes much less time to setup.
    That said, I have experienced condensation issues with the Tarptent which may be more about the location of where I setup than the design or fabric. I also like you researched these forums for feedback which is why I went with it. Recently I've gone ahead and purchased the Zpack's in terms of cutting weight from my tent weight. I have to say the Zpacks is featherweight in relation to the Tarptent. Yes, there's more staking, but what is a couple of minutes more for setup compared to the amount of granola weight add on? Well, as you start getting more into this, you find that it's like the law of diminishing returns- by $$$$. I think it's worth it in the long run to spend the extra money on the weight savings depending on the amount of use that you get out of it. But , as some have argued, the silnylon has been around a long time and has proven it's mettle as a durable material. I would give them that, but for a tent covering I went with the application. Since it's a cover, I don't see the relative merits for durability being superior with silnylon over cuben. If it was a pack, then yes. One thing that others have failed (from what I can see in this thread) to mention though is the ease fo getting into the tent. This may not be an issue for you depending on your flexibility or size, but for me, getting into a Hexamid with the vestibule that I have is somewhat of a pain. I'll qualify that though. I'm 5-9, 185 and not the most flexible guy at my age. I only took out my tent for the first time this past week on the High Sierra Trail, and found that the ventilation was exceptional (almost too good) and experienced rain, wind, and all kinds of inclement weather that the local thunderstorms produced. Given more experience with the tent, I would of liked to of been able to keep the sides down to prevent the amount of sand that the storm blew in. None the less I'm not sorry I purchased either one. I have to tell you though the customer service of Zpack was much better then expected with everything I have experienced to date. I haven't had to test it yet (as I have with the Tarptent) but Joe's attention to 'getting her done' has been great! In summary, Tarptent has the advantage in price, ease of getting in, and set-up, while Zpacks has it in weight and (to me) ventilation. Again, I don't have years of experience with backpacking but as an end user who doesn't set a price on my recreation for the most part, I would weigh out your criteria and possibly get a hold of both and try them out. It would really make your decision process that much easier. Perhaps either manufacture has some way to test them out prior to owning.

Regards.

David Ure

@familyguy

Can you comment on wind performance? I have a hard time believing that the Hexamid would be anywhere near as good as the Moment in high winds.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Franco…good points on the sun and transparency issue. I don't like the idea of worrying about my shelter being in the sun. One more issue to keep in mind.

Arnold…good point on the issue of getting in and out. I had not thought about that issue but it is a pretty big deal to me. I am 260lbs and not super flexible, especially after hiking all day. Ease of entry is important to me. That is one reason why I have ruled out all but side entry. I had a front entry tent before and did not like it.

Franco, question…

I saw a youtube video of you spraying silicone onto your TT (forgot which one). How has that worked for you? Do you think spraying it eliminates any possibility of true misting? By that I mean rain drops going through the silnylon not raindrops shaking condensation loose.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Ty Ty
    That shelter was a DR that the customer claimed it misted by penetration.
    Unfortunately I forgot to test it myself before I used that spray so I don't really know if it did mist from penetration or from the inside.
    Anyway as you can see in the video there was no misting afterwards. I have not heard from that TT customer since.
    BTW, I am constantly amazed at how averse some are to just wipe the fly (from the inside) once or twice to get rid of moisture.
    It takes me about 5 seconds and then I sleep soundly.
    Franco

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> I saw a youtube video of you spraying silicone onto your TT.
    > How has that worked for you? Do you think spraying it eliminates
    > any possibility of true misting?

Hi Ty,

I tried Franco's solution on a silnylon tarp that I had problems
    with it misting in rainstorms. Spraying a light coat of silicone
    stopped the misting in my case. Thanks Franco for the tip!

The fact that the misting stopped after treatment
    proved that rain drops can indeed pass through silnylon
    and mist into a tent. Misting is not just shaking invisible condensation loose.

Before I applied the treatment I ran an experiment to determine if my misting was
    penetration or condensation I set up a plastic sheet next to my silnylon tarp. Both should have similar condensation shaking, but the plastic sheet is impermeable. There was misting under the silnylon, and none under the plastic in the same rainstorm. This experiment doesn't say all silnylon mists. But it does prove that misting is not just condensation shaking loose.

Plus now I know a way to reduce/stop misting.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"Actually somewhere between 5 and 5 1/2 ounces lighter for canopy replacement. That's a little more than a half cup of water or maybe 3 granola bars. I've said it before (and I'll say it again), in a loaded pack no one can tell the difference of a few ounces."
    To me, 5.5oz is about the weight of one meal. If I shave 5.5oz off my baseweight then I can go hiking for 1/3 of a day longer while still having an enjoyable pack weight.

"I am convinced that once folk get over the initial buzz…"
    What's it been? 5-6 years now? I think we're past the initial buzz stage

"(this happened with spinnaker,Epic, eVent and various proprietary fabrics that have come and gone and will keep happening with every new fabric)"
    Every new fabric? A little pessimistic are we?

"Franco…good points on the sun and transparency issue."
    I'm not sure what the sun issue is. Franco mentioned he prefers silnylon for a nap but didn't say why. In terms of UV exposure, cuben will hold up much better in the long term from what I've read. Some variants of cuben do create sort of a warm green house effect (which can be a good thing or a bad thing), but with a shelter like the Hexamid you wouldn't notice this because of all the ventilation.
    I was a bit worried about transparency when I'd never used a cuben shelter, but once you try one you realize it's a very small issue. Even with white cuben, if you're setting it up then it's likely near dusk and no one can see in, although you can see bright things (headlamp, moon etc) somewhat from inside looking out. Some people might not like it, but it really is quite a minor concern. My wife is a fairly cautious lady and she had no troubles changing in a single wall white cuben tent once it was closer to dusk. Keep in mind that you see a whole lot more stars and moonlight when you cowboy camp then you do from inside a cuben shelter. Aside from mid-day privacy concerns, there's not much to worry about.

surf1div1
    BPL Member

@surf1div1

Locale: Southern California

While I count comment on the Moment (I tried in "Round Valley" in San Jacinto with no wind) I can comment about the stability of the Hexamid. I was camping two weeks ago on the HST @ Hamilton Lakes and during the first night the wind was gusting for hours at over 20 knots easy. I setup with rocks since the ground (granite?) was way to firm for any stake I could put in. Being that this was only the first time I have used it my experience was limited but it did not blow over or have any issues with stability, or flapping due to the wind. I'm not clear though on one being any better than the other unless your strictly referring to the amount of stakes needed on the Moment vs. the Hexamid.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Still have not decided, been busy with some other things. I think I understand the pro's and con's of each tent though thanks to the posters in this thread.

I think I may end up buying both, get them home and set them up in the yard then sell the one I end up not wanting. The only danger there is that I end up wanting to keep both :)

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I have the hexamid solo with cuben floor and door (pre-beak). I've had it in windy conditions, all night rain etc. It's been in Patagonia and Corsica (unfamiliar ground, crowded campsites).

The thing has performed like a champ.

However, the only other tent I've often thought about is the TT Moment, simply for the ease of set-up and most importantly, the small footprint. You can set-up in small space.

So you've got good taste.

The Hexamid though is very very light, Highly functional, very very comfortable if you like airy. It also packs down to slightly larger than a nalgene if you fold and then roll the entire tent, door floor and all. It packs really nice. I think mine comes in at just a bit under 14 oz without stakes.

The Moment is close to double that weight, and larger packed size, but easy to set-up, much more like a traditional tent vs tarp in terms of set-up. Then again in terms of sleeping under it's also like a tent vs tarp in terms of feel.

One thing is for sure though is that Joe and Zpacks customer service is the best. Top shelf.

BTW, I just used it with the 1.3 oz tent pole (wanted only carry-on and no checked bags) and it performed great.

I also have the TT Double Rainbow and haven't noticed much difference in terms of misting etc with silnylon. It sags after a rain and doesn't look too pretty but isn't that big of a deal.

Tough call.

David Ure

@familyguy

"very high winds"

Anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1iJvk6tKs4&feature=player_embedded

You would have a much better chance of doing this in a Moment than a Hexamid.

Just sayin'

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Good information, thank you.

I am glad to hear someone agree with me on these two tents being two great options. I know they are a lot different in a lot of ways but I think of them as the category leaders in their respective categories…I need to decide between the category.

David Ure

@familyguy

The only catagory these two shelters share is that they are non-freestanding shelters. There are no other similarities to speak of.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

If I experience winds like that in the SE USA there is probably a mandatory evacuation order in effect that I would need to follow :)

Ty Ty

@tylerd

David – that's what I mean, that they are very different but each leaders in their respective categories.

David Ure

@familyguy

I think the basis of your decision making should really be something like this:

1.) lightest option – Hexamid
    2.) best 'packability' – Hexamid
    3.) best options for ventilation – Hexamid
    4.) most weather protection – Moment
    5.) best wind stability – Moment
    6.) best able to handle some snow – Moment
    7.) Ease of set up – Moment (ridiculously easy, actually)
    8.) Price – Moment

One is a tarp and one is a tent, IMHO.

Personally, unless you have a lot of experience with tarps, site selection, use of natural wind breaks, the Moment would be an ideal choice.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

>>One is a tarp and one is a tent, IMHO.

Personally, unless you have a lot of experience with tarps…the Moment would be an ideal choice.<<

I think that is good advice right there. It's a perfect next step from my Eureka Spitfire 1.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

David, what are your criteria for saying the Moment is a tent but the Hexamid is a tarp?

David Ure

@familyguy

Obviously there are fine lines, but I look at it as any shelter with a dedicated, shaped pole structure that is paramount in creating a fully enclosed, bug proof, weather proof living area.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I get your other points, but I don't see how the pole being shaped and dedicated or not makes a difference to the performance/function.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Not to denigrate the Hexamid in any way but a difference you left out is that the Moment has a waterproof, bathtub floor vs the mesh only enclosure of the Hexamid. Different purposes obviously but it puts the Moment much more into the tent category.

-H

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Not to denigrate the Moment, either (I LOVE Tarptents and own three!), but ZPacks has a Cuben bathtub floor for the Hexamid. Of course it costs more!

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I can see where a Hexamid is tarp-like, a moment is tent-like, and a contrail is kind of a hybrid of the two.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I get your other points, but I don't see how the pole being shaped and dedicated or not makes a difference to the performance/function." The poled structure will provide more living space and more performance in the wind. This has been my experience in the Canadian Rockies so your mileage may vary depending where you trek.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I am now forced to disclose a TT secret.
    Henry designed the Moment so that I could set 3 of them up on my back lawn, just in case.
    As you can see the Moment does set up as a tent and the Hexamid as a tarp.
    Moments
    Hexamid
    (sorry about the Hexamid set up , I can do it better than that but was only seam sealing it. Very easy to do, but remember to the the guyout bits…)
    One advantage for the Moment is that if you change your mind about spot selection you can just lift one peg out and rotate the shelter to the new direction and stake in again or you just take the two stakes out , move it and it really takes less than a minute to do so.
    When you set it up about half of the time is spent inserting the pole, once that is done it is very fast and easy to get the two ends pegged in.

A fast Moment
    Franco
    [email protected]

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools