Topic

Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Moment versus Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Tarptent Moment
    http://tarptent.com/moment.html
    tent – 30oz – $215
    liner – 4oz – $30
    cross pole – 7oz – $15 (would not always carry so not including in weight)
    2x ti groundhawg style stakes – .8oz – $6.50 (added ins for two ends in loose soil)
    seam sealer – 1oz – $4.50

TOTAL: 35.8oz – $271

Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus
    http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml
    tent (w/ beak) – 10.8oz – $380
    cuban ground sheet – 4.3oz – $105
    10 x ti hook style stakes – 2.8oz – $27.50
    tent pole – 1.3oz – $25 (I don't use hiking poles)
    seam sealer – 1oz – free with tent

TOTAL: 20.2oz – $537.50

Few things about me…most of my hiking is in the SE US, I don't use hiking poles, I am 6', 255lbs, and I sleep on a Exped SynMat UL 7 20" x 72" (very happy with that product btw). Right now I use a Eureka Spitfire 1 (http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent) and I am happy with it, a lot like the moment in a lot of ways but it is kinda tight on space for the weight (53oz) and requires 6-8 stakes. The main positive is it was $80 bucks on Amazon so good way to get started for cheap.

I have narrowed it down to these two choices. I know they are pretty different but they are the top choice (IMO) in their respective fields, I just have to decide which field/direction I want to go with.

Since I don't use hiking poles and I wanted simple setup that's what led me to the TT Moment. I think that is hands down the best option for me as far as price, simplicity/speed of setup (1 pole, 2 stakes) and I like that it can be free standing if needed (canoe trips on beaches). I am completely sold on the TT Moment except two of the factors…silnylon (misting, water absorption potential issues), and condensation issues due to the more enclosed design. I know all of that can be mitigated but I don't like the idea of having a chance of getting wet inside the tent so I am potentially willing to spend more and give up simplicity of setup to get a better deal.

So that got me thinking about spending more, going with cuben. So out of all the cuben options I like the Hexamid Solo-Plus. I eliminated several others like the GG stuff, SMD, and Lightheart's because you need two trekking poles and 6-10 stakes. When I add in all that extra weight I am not saving much weight or money, getting a lot of fiddle factor, and not gaining much room/space. So if I am going to have fiddle factor I wanted something really light and with a lot of space. That lead me to the Zpacks Hexamid Solo-Plus.

Yes I would be getting a lot of fiddle factor with 10 stakes, but in exchange I get great ventilation (hopefully little/no condensation), TONS of space, very light weight, and no chance of misting.

So it becomes, do I want to do cheaper, less fiddle factor, potential for misting and greater potential for condensation TT Moment….or expensive, more fiddle factor, more room, less weight, no misting, less chance for condensation Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The lunar solo is a one pole design by SMD as is the Wild Oasis. Much cheaper than the hexamid, and lighter than the TT moment.

Also, TT has equal size front poles for much much cheaper ($5). Good luck!

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I would look at the bear paw lair. It is very similer to the hexamid but a lot cheaper.
    Thanks
    Dustin

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

"Since I don't use hiking poles and I wanted simple setup that's what led me to the TT Moment. I think that is hands down the best option for me as far as price, simplicity/speed of setup (1 pole, 2 stakes) and I like that it can be free standing if needed (canoe trips on beaches

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Yeah but…

The idea of getting wet inside my tent from misting and/or condensation just sounds crappy. Almost like a deal killer. I know it is manageable but just seems wrong.

But how nice to lay the Moment out, thread the one pole, steak the ends and you are done. That seems like about the most fuss free setup imaginable and after a long day of hiking I like lessening camp chores.

I am arguing with myself I know :)

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Dustin…

I just emailed them. That is not a bad idea. It seems like the liar is directly comparable to the Hexamid Solo. I do like the idea of the solo-plus because you seem to get a ton more space for 2 steaks and 1.1 oz in tent.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Michael – when you add in the stakes and the pole to the lunar duo you are about the same as the moment plus you still are dealing with silnylon.

One other thing that makes me not like the idea of silnylon, on multi-night trips, if it rains is my ultralight tent going to pick up a bunch of water weight and close the gap between a my 35.8 oz TT Moment setup and my current 53 oz Eureka Spitfire? If it picks up 4 to 5 ounces in water weight I am less than a pound different from keeping what I have.

Hence the thought of going to cuben with more ventilation.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Regaurding the Bear Paw Lair versus the Hexamid Solo, they do appear to be basically the same, the only difference is the Bear Paw is 3" wider and 3" longer.

The Hexamid Solo plus is about the same in length but 14" wider and requires 2 more steaks than the Hexamid Solo and Bear Paw Lair.

The Bear paw is slightly cheaper.

Bear Paw Lair ($195) with beak ($45), perimeter netting ($40), and cuben ground cloth ($135) = TOTAL $415

ZPacks Hexamid Solo with beak and perimeter netting ($380) and cuben ground cloth ($95) = TOTAL $475

ZPacks Hexamid Solo plus with beak and permiter netting ($380) and a cuben ground cloth ($105) = TOTAL $485

For $70 dollars, 1 to 2 oz, and 2 more steaks I'd rather have the additional 14" of width on the Hexamid Solo-Plus for my gear, dog, and potential to sleep two people.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Are you set on a cuben ground cloth? You can cut a lot of cost with a much, much cheaper ground cloth.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I had not thought about that.

All of these cuben options make the TT Moment seem cheap :) I guess that is part of the beauty of it.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I've owned or slept in a bunch of tarp-tent style shelters since 2003, including four actual Tarptent brand shelters and our Lunar Duo. I've had many nights with moderate condensation, some nights with heavy condensation, and many nights with none. In no case did the condensation make any real difference in comfort or safety. Sometimes it was a PITA to dry off the tent, but any tent can suffer condensation.

I have been in numerous rain storms, including some pretty amazing downpours in all these shelters. In all those nights in Tarptents, we had one – just one – where we had some "misting" through the fabric. It was the heaviest rain I have ever experienced in 25+ years in the backcountry. The misting was just that – a light mist – and again it did not affect our comfort or safety. (Yes, I was concerned at the time. Not quite wigged out, but concerned.)

Of course your mileage may vary. But don't write off the Moment completely based on those two factors. I've been using it as a solo shelter for about 18 months and it's been terrific. The ease of setup, the interior room (for both me and my stuff), and the small packed size are good features.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Do you silicone spray your TT's at all or do anything other than seam seal them?

Yeah the ease of setup on the Moment is awfully tempting. 2 stakes versus 10 stakes is a pretty big deal when you consider placing the 2 stakes is a no-brainer and the 10 stakes on something like the Hexamid Solo-Plus would most likely require repositioning for taughtness and the occasional rocky spot where a steak will not go in.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

Also consider the Six Moon Designs Skyscape. I also do not use trekking poles and purchased (2) 2 oz. tent poles to use instead. I purchased the Skyscape Scout which weighs in at 34 oz. They also have a Trekker model of the Skyscape that weighs 24 oz.

When I purchased the SMD, I will also considering the Moment, but went the cheaper route at $125 for the Scout model. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Just seam seal them, carefully and completely. Then do it again. Some of the more complex seams require careful attention.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

What was you logic for going with the SMD Trekker (sil version) and the Moment are about the same in price. You get more potential ventilation wit the SMD on non rainy nights but also 5 stake setup versus 2.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

If the Moment came in Cuben…I think I would have already placed my order. Not only would it be a ton lighter, the misting issue would be solved and the only negative would be condensation. If that was the only thing I think I would chalk it up to nothing is perfect but this is darn close…and place my order.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

I actually went with the Scout for $125 new vs. $215 for the Moment. Just in my price point at this time. The Skyscape is offered in cuben also, SkyScape X, for a heftier price.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

>"…Not only would it be a ton lighter…"

Actually somewhere between 5 and 5 1/2 ounces lighter for canopy replacement. That's a little more than a half cup of water or maybe 3 granola bars. I've said it before (and I'll say it again), in a loaded pack no one can tell the difference of a few ounces. Call me a heretic.

-H

Ty Ty

@tylerd

What about if the whole thing was in cuben? Floor and all.

I understand the misting is not much of an issue but I just wish it was something that I could check off the list completely.

I think the issue with a couple ounces is it adds up. It's more looking at your gear list in an excel spreadsheet thinking 'if I cut 8 here, 2 here, 4 here and 2 more here that is a pound!'.

You may have already given your answer to this question 100 times, sorry if I am asking you to repeat yourself, but why not offer a couple models in cuben? If nothing else just to offer the choice like you do on the Sublite in tyvek.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Right sorry, don't know why I misunderstood that.

On the scout…what do you think about that polyester material? I assume it's more like what most normal tents come in so no chance of misting.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

What's the fixation with Cuben?

Any enclosed tent is prone to condensation in the 'wrong' conditions regardless of the fabic that it's made from, and since 'misting' is mainly that condentation on the inside getting knocked off by extremely big raindrops on the outside, I doubt that a Cuben tent will 'mist' any less than one made from good silnylon.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Actually somewhere between 5 and 5 1/2 ounces lighter for canopy replacement. That's a little more than a half cup of water or maybe 3 granola bars. I've said it before (and I'll say it again), in a loaded pack no one can tell the difference of a few ounces. Call me a heretic."

+1 The voice of reason.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

If you're planning on using the Moment with a liner, misting and condensation aren't much of a concern. I rarely use the Moment's liner. My down bag has good DWR, and I didn't notice the drops from dripping condensation (knocked off by rain from Irene) until the morning when I woke up and saw them on the outside of my bag. I simply shook them off the bag. I haven't experienced misting, or at least I haven't noticed it.

I added two additional stakes and guylines to the main pole and use them if I expect anything more than a strong breeze. I also use the 8" Easton stakes (2 = 1 oz), as the 6" ones are a little short for soft forest soil.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

I'm not really fixated on cuben other than it appears to be superior to silnylon in every category except cost.

Since I can technically afford whatever tent I want (although I don't like to waste money)…I keep thinking, in order to cut the cost in half, do I want to accept the fact that my tent will be made out of a material that absorbs water, sags when wet, has potential for water to go through it (misting), and is heavier than other materials available? (silnylon)

Or do I just want to pony up for a material that appears to be superior in every way except cost? (cuben)

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Silnylon does sag when wet, but adjusting a few guy lines is not that onerous.
    However I disagree that silnylon absorbs water, or that water can pass through it (unless you are camping in a hurricane, in which case you will have other worries).
    Look up Richards hydrostatic testing thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools