Topic

washing goose down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) washing goose down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

I have been in touch with Marmot again. All my original contact was via email, and I've followed up with the warranty rep directly. As of right now, I haven't heard back from her.

This was my own problem to begin with, and Marmot simply asked to see the bag and did not promise any particular resolution. However, once they told me it was going to be professionally cleaned, I at least expected it to return in a condition no worse than I'd sent it.

I'm frustrated with the situation, and hopeful that they get back to me with some sort of insight or suggestion

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm not even sure it is legal to "dry clean" a bag using the old standard "perc" (not sure they are using that anymore). Stoddard Solvent (what may be required now, and the main ingredient in WD-40) may do a better job, but I still wouldn't do that either. Dry cleaning is typically very good at removing oils. Not what you want with down.

My parents owned a dry cleaners. We did lots of down sleeping bags. They went in a front loading washer with VERY LITTLE soap. We then dried each one separately in a large dryer on the lowest possible heat (we had complete control over the flame and set it just above going out). We put several plastic gallon jugs in with it to break up the clumps. Not sure how good of a job it really did, but we were short on complaints.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

detergents remove oils very effectively, soaps not so much, which is why light soap use or down soaps work.

also, I just hand washed two down comforters using the bath tub method, and dried them in my front load drier with two of the spikey dryer balls and they came out perfect, nice and clean and with better loft than they started with (I assume due to being clean and low heat and air dried for about 12hrs each).

I don't know if sleeping bags can be hand washed, but when it's time for me to do my GoLite down quilt I'm going to do some research on that cause it was quite easy.

just some more fyi for those that read this in the future.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Just for reference, here is the 'professionally cleaned' Helium (rated 15*F) next to a WM Ultralite (rated 20*F). The Marmot is a more generous cut, and should have at least equal loft to the WM.Helium v Ultralite

Here's a shot of the hood. Take note the 'ruff' around the face; the portion below the drawstring is jammed with down, while the portion on top is completely empty.Helium hood

Another shot with the Helium in the foreground.Helium v Ultralite 2

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Regardless of what you can get out of these photos, I wish there was a way to share the difference in texture between the down in the Helium and in the Ultralite, or in my Marmot Hydrogen for that matter. That shot of the hood is the most indicative of the overall condition of the down in the bag. :(

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Well, after following up with Marmot Canada, they are replacing my bag. This is more than fair on their part, but I'm still trying to determine what went wrong with this cleaning. I'm obviously disappointed that this bag is kaput, and that it's a version of the Helium which is considerably lighter (and considerably more $) than the current model. But, I'll be glad to have functional sleeping bag back in my arsenal.

SPAM

@fseoer2010

could you tell me how to wash canada goose down coat?

Steve Behaeghel
    BPL Member

@evets

Locale: Gent, BELGIUM

I made a tutorial on my blog on how to wash down sleeping bags.

=> Patagonian Dreams Blog

Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools