Topic

Mistaken for Strangers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Mistaken for Strangers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That really, really makes me regret having to cancel my trip to Northern NM (Wheeler Peak Wilderness) in 2 weeks. But my hiking buddy seems to think that going blind in one eye is a valid excuse for cancelling the trip. What a baby. I'd almost pay Eugene to follow me and document a trip.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

You just confirmed that you post the best trip reports ever. Incredible pictures, remarkable writing and always a good story with great protagonists. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it.

Mallory Caldwell

@mc1263

Locale: Texas

What kind of camera are you shooting? I want to take photos like those.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I have to say I felt a little de ja vu when I started reading it, and kept looking at the date it was posted…. I thought I'd read about the trip before,but didn't remember some of the pics, then I just read Steven's post alluding to your blog and it all clicked, I wasn't losing my mind… I HAD read some of it before :)

Your writing style and photography skills are exemplary, they allow me to share in on the experience vicariously, but so much more.
    Absolutely wonderful!
    Thank you

Tecalote was one of the first restaurants I ate at over 20 yrs ago, and I still go there for breakfast when I'm in SF.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I've been wanting to read your trip report since you said you were just south of my buddy and I that same weekend. I remember the snow, the winds….and the enchantment of New Mexico Sangres….

Awesome stuff..

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Really, this is one of the best I've experienced. Well written, übersuperb photographs and video. Thank you.

edit:
    Plus a great heading as I'm currently listening to the National. (Intention or coincidence…)

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

He ain't a stranger, he's my ultra light brother that I just haven't met yet. ;-)

The video is very unsettling for me. Let me explain. As I watch the video I am at peace and aching to get out on the trail at the same time. Almost 11 minutes of video passes by and disappears like lightening. I want more!

Eugeneius, does video very well! A wonderful trip report!

Thank you Eugene for sharing.

Party On,

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Wow, thanks everyone for the encouraging words! Putting this together was a labor of love, I'm pumped that many of you found it to be enjoyable and uplifting. BPL is such a killer community, there are really some gems here.

The more we can spur each other on and inspire one another to go outdoors and share it with our friends and family the better- no matter the capacity, however big or small the adventure, it doesn't matter, as long as we're outside.

New Mexico is a beautiful and enchanting place, hopefully more people will put it on their trip location radar in the future.

To answer a few questions:

What camera did I use? Nikon D7000, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5

Video editing: iMac, iMovie

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

New Mexico is truly the land of enchantment.
    Eugene, you have a wonderful way with words and an awesome gift with photos. Please keep up the great work and thank you for sharing.
    Jeff

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

>>New Mexico is a beautiful and enchanting place, hopefully more people will put it on >>their trip location radar in the future.

Ditto. I've been rediscovering the beauty of NM. My fiance' and I went to the Latir Peak Wilderness this past weekend and loved it. One of the ranked summits had a register from 1967!

No too far of a drive for many of us in CO, yet many people seem to bypass NM in favor of other places.

Their loss. :)

Trevor Martin
    BPL Member

@trevormar

Locale: Rockies/ Desert Southwest

Count me in for next time Eugene! I'm from Taos so its only a short drive away.

Stephen McCue

@smccue

Locale: New Mexico

Awesome! I was up at Pecos Baldy Lake about ten days after you all – my 55th birthday. Truly a beautiful spot. The video gets it right, although I prefer a Lotaburger after the Pecos. Steve

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I don't know what's in store for next year, maybe a round 2? I get out as life affords, but I do know that I want to connect with more BPL members in a fashion similar to this, people getting together to hike, sweat, eat, bag peaks, laugh, etc. For this trip I posted a few months out in the Hiking Partners/Group Trip Announcement forum, hopefully others will do the same if they're heading out so they can share wilderness with someone else, teach someone, learn from someone, and be stoked on the same things.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

wow! well done – great writing, pics and video

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Your stuff just keeps getting better! Thanks for sharing.
    Tom

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Best piece I've read on this site in a while! Thank you Eugene.

This is just the sort of inspiration I need right now to kickstart my soon-to-be fall/winter local hiking season.

Awesome.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Wow, Eugene. This is the trip report I've been waiting for since I saw the preview on your blog, and it exceeded my expectations. You really are developing an inspired photographic style all your own. Nicely done!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Beautiful work, Eugene. Great storytelling through multiple mediums.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

Simply OUTSTANDING Eugene! Many thanks for sharing.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Many already have expressed. I was on the site last Tuesday and quickly found out it'd take a while to read this. Well, I gotta say how much I enjoyed this masterpiece of narrative, visual media, and don't forget the aural awesomeness as well. Makes me wanna get there some day. And with others. That's what I enjoy about the wilderness most, the company of others. It is just too good to experience alone. Eugene, absolutely brilliant. Well done my good and faithful hiker!

This is surely the BPL that we all want and dream of.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My dad and I went backpacking in the Pecos for several summers when I was growing up. Thanks for the chance to revisit.

I recently scanned some photos from our 1975 trip. We weighed and counted everything, but the packs were still pretty heavy. At least one person was light and fast — I remember a solo hiker blowing past us wearing Converse hi-tops. Trailrider's Wall was windy then, too.

Photos on flickr: Pecos Wilderness 1975

Campfire on the Rio Valdez

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Walter,

Thanks for sharing that excellent photograph, I love the nostalgia of it, it's a classic image, coffee can and flanel to boot.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome photos. That Gerry tent looks like a tarptent!

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

@Walter: Great pics from 75. I was only a kid spending a summer in nearby Santa Fe in 75 or 76.

One note on your Flikr is that the Rio Valdez does go down to Mora Flats.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools