Topic

Water bottle–cook pot–water treatment vessel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Water bottle–cook pot–water treatment vessel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

I'm looking for something that will do all 3. I'm picturing a SP 700 mug with a screw top or something like a mason jar made from aluminum or titanium. I have a friend who carries an aluminum energy drink bottle with a screw top for water and he made a caldera cone for cooking with it, which I thought was brilliant. Since I use a steripen and want a wide mouth bottle, though, I can't copy his system. Anyone ideas out there?

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

I'm a Steripen user also. I have a system I've been working on. I'll post pictures later. The whole thing : water bottle/cookpot, fuel bottle/stove, pot/coffee mug/cooking epuiment storage, coozie, spoon, bic lighter, hand towel and windscreen weigh 6.5oz.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Please post some pictures when you get a chance, Adam.

I like simplicity…even over weight savings sometimes. The idea of a single vessel for both water carry and cooking seems great to me. Add a simple stove, lighter and spoon and you're ready to go for freezer bag meals. Maybe some kind of windscreen. I've never had a problem using clothing or sleep gear for a coozie, just gotta be mildly careful.

adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

Brain,

I posted pics in the MYOG section. If you have any questions let me know.
    You can use the energy drink can with a Platy bag with the top cut off and still come in under 2oz.

Here is the link to the post.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=52885&skip_to_post=445670#445670

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Well this almost fits the bill.

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4997

The system is not quite leak proof. It does have a silcone washer.

You'll be getting your water near where you camp? No need to carry water being that you are using the Steripen?

Lots of variety at bplite.com. Stop by and browse the threads in the different forums.

Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

I use/own a wonderful all in one container. It is an old aluminum Ovaltine shaker. It is similar to a martini shaker, it has an air tight lid that doubles as a cup, it holds two cups of water, and it is extremely light weight. The downsides to it are that it is delicate, being made of thin aluminum, and the base is kind of narrow which might make it difficult to stand it on some stove tops.
    I don't think it would be very good for a water bottle in the capacity that I'd be drinking from it, but it can hold water and you could use it to store extra water to transfer to a more practical water bottle or camelbak.

I have a windscreen that it sits in when I am using it with an alcohol stove, otherwise I just put the lid on, dig a small hole for it, then rake in some hot coals from the camp fire and settle it onto them. The thin aluminum body transfers heat very quickly and efficiently, the lid fits so well I can literally hold the container full of water, upside down with no spillage.

You can sometimes find them on eBay, usually for 15-20 dollars after shipping. I just searched for "Ovaltine shaker" and found several of them for sale. =)

Chris Arnold

@christopheractual

Locale: Oregon, USA

A company called exotac makes a titanium water bottle that looks like the kleen kanteen. Expensive though.

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Single walled metal. Aluminium or stainless. Go to a thrift shore and look at the many options.

Federico Colalongo
    BPL Member

@rico

The Vargo titanium water bottle does the job well. I can boil water easily using a alcohol stove or building a wooden fire around its base. But the mouth is not large enough for the steripen..

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

Well looky here, this just came out today http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-BOT-Bottle-Pot

"Stop carrying both a water bottle and cooking pot, the “BOT” is designed to be used as both. In typical backpacks the BOT fits nicely into the water bottle pocket for easy access whether you are drinking water or preparing a quick meal. The screw-top lid was designed to be turned upside-down for cooking and the temperature resistant O-ring won’t melt when exposed to high heat. The lid was designed to be pot-lifter friendly and easy to grip. Specs:

Capacity: 1.0 Liters (34 ounces)
    Weight: 4.7 ounces (28.3 grams)
    Dimensions: 6.5 L x 3.9 D inches (165 x 99 mm)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Somebody needs to make one of those out of aluminum for the same or less weight and $5. Their price is excessive.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I wonder if it really makes sense to combine a water storage container and a cookpot. Five ounces is an ounce more than my 1L cookpot and 1L water bottle combined, and the cookpot is valuable as a hard sided container for fragile or pointy things in the pack. For many people, the cookpot is the only hard-sided container they carry.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

How would you like it to fall out of your pack pocket? And it means you have to clean your pot like crazy to use it for water. And better put it in the bear bag overnight.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"And better put it in the bear bag overnight."

You could leave it on the ground, and the bear could use it as a chew toy.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

And try finding it after that . I think the true fans of titanium are those who don't really cook anything other than water or who have simmering stoves. I have a standing search for "used titanium". Hits every day of the year usually used once.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Good job. I use a double wall every day for coffee so I'm a believer in terms of heat retention. The obvious question is price point and utility vs contamination and cost.And hey, I love buying other people's regrets.

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

When I travel ultralight by bike, I cook, as I usually plan to get food in the late afternoons.
    So this pot is the perfect mulit-use piece of gear
    It will be great :
    – to complement my 2l water bottle on the bike, and take that extra liter of water for the evening's drinks and cooking.
    – to allow me to soak beans, pulses and lentils to shorten cooking times
    – to serve as my main cooking pot, and be able to sauté, fry and stew, not just boil
    with a reflextix cozy
    – I'll be able to drink my morning coffee out of it, and even keep some warm for my first break (I expect similar performance to a thermos)
    – I'll be able to finish cooking rice, lentils, beans, pasta by simply letting it sit in the cozy
    – store a cold one, or food that needs refridgerating and not have to worry about it leaking all over my gear.
    I'm going to get one to try this system out.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I made this container today:

YouTube video

Robert Brown

@rob0brown

Locale: Waltham, MA

Expanding on that idea id like to see an XXL- wide load version of that which could be used as a bear canister, cook kit, camp sink, snow shovel/sled, mountaineering helmet and dinner gong!…how cool would that be?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

had a look at that Vargo pot..
    1 Liter 28 g ? That sounded too good to be true and it is.
    The weight in oz (4.7) is probably correct so that is 133g.
    Still I like the idea.
    Franco

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I carry two 800mL SS water bottles (single wall) instead of plastic and the reason is I use them to boil water in, for sterilizing (I am in the small minority of people who prefer to boil rather than use chemicals or filters) and also so I have bottles suitable for making hot water bottles to put in my sleeping bag on cold nights. I used to use Nalgene bottles but they required a separate pot for the boiling process and with the SS bottles I don't need a separate pot. For most of my trips my food only requires reconstitution and so I'm only rehydrating rather than cooking the food so I don't need a cook pot.

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

http://wn7ant.com/2013/04/20/vargo-bot/

Though this shows the Titanium version, you can now get a stainless version from Vargo.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools