Topic

The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't call the Fyrestorm "difficult" to prime but it does have a propensity to emit a Really Big Orange Flame until it settles down to a cook flame, meaning don't dare use the thing under a vestibule with white gas. Big Flame events can be reduced by fiddling with the amount of priming fuel and pump pressure.

In all, the stove is simply easier to use with a canister.

Cheers,

Rick

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Thanks, Rick.

I've read posts where people were having real difficulty priming. I had no idea if they had a lemon, didn't know what they were doing, or the stove is just "difficult," so thanks for your feedback.

HJ

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Per my hands on experience, we handled so many new stoves last week when the MSR reps visited two nights, I still believe it was the Universal, the fuel line was super flexible, unlike the line on the Rapidfire:) I'll be using the Rapidfire in Yosemite the second weekend in Oct. with a few from NorthCA Hiking on a XC route off of Lyell Fork so I'll be using it for more than snow camping like I did last Spring in Desolation.
    Duane

PS, maybe we were using the prototype.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Could it have been the new Windpro II? The Windpro has a super flexible fuel line, and I mean super flexible.

Or maybe as you say, there's a little variation stove to stove in the prototypes.

Pretty cool that you got to meet with the guys from MSR. At first I honestly thought you were pulling my leg, but I talked to Doc and Gary and they confirmed it. Dang! I wish I could have been there.

HJ

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Can you purchase the canister attachment separately? Would it work on an international? Not really sure why I'm asking, but I do have an international that is collecting dust…

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

HJ, could have been, I was trying to absorb all the info they gave us, they even fired up the Capillary action one like you have and another that the military turned down.
    Duane

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

"I've read posts where people were having real difficulty priming. I had no idea if they had a lemon, didn't know what they were doing, or the stove is just "difficult," so thanks for your feedback."

Happy to add my $0.02. The Fyrestorm is a little more complicated than typical stoves due to the second valve, so there are more variables to control. I've not used it in awhile and I bet I'd have to go through the freshman class again to get it right.

At least if you know the Giant Flame is a possibility, you won't be surprised. ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Can you purchase the canister attachment separately? Would it work on an international? Not really sure why I'm asking, but I do have an international that is collecting dust…

Larry,

I'm not sure if they'll offer the adapter separately, but even if they did, it wouldn't do any good.

The end of the Whisperlite Universal fuel line is threaded and has "O" rings:

The end of the Internationale's fuel line is smooth, so the adapter wouldn't work.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I guess I missed that in the pictures. Oh well, I don't need it anyway. :D

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Larry, not a problem. It's kind of a cool set up — but it's not backwards compatible.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

The finalized version of my review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal is now available if anyone would like to have a look.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools