Topic

Original Black Rock Down Hat – 2 for $99 – Labor day sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Original Black Rock Down Hat – 2 for $99 – Labor day sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Buy any 2 original Black Rock Hats for $99. Each hat can be any size (S, M, L, XL) and color (Black, Blue, Red and Grey) in stock. Shipping not included. We also have the Hadron and Sportsman stocked and ready to ship.

Original Black Rock Hat

Original Black Rock HatCobalt Blue Black Rock HatRed Black Rock HatGrey Black Rock Hat

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Sweet!!!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

No doubt these are light for the amount of warmth, but I'm having trouble figuring out how they would work in my systems.

If it's in the shoulder seasons, with the possibility of rain while I'm hiking, I'm rocking a synthetic hat that will still perform when wet. When it gets cold enough for snow I'm rocking the JRB 2oz down balaclava.

I don't see where this hat would fit in. :( How do you guys use it?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

as a 1 oz hat in place of the 2 oz balaclava. :D

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Bryce – My short answer is this… The hat is so versatile and performs so well in both the wet and the cold that it will simply become your one and only beanie on the trail. It's done so well over the years that it's now made it to the top of Everest twice, up the PCT, down the AT, had a full river run on the Grand Canyon and it's even been on the Inca Trail. It's gone up routes on Denali, Whitney and Rainier and been on 50mile ultra-marathon runs, long distance bike rides and numerous adventure races.

Personally it's the only hat I take with me as it's replaced my ultralight merino skull cap, my light fleece beanie, my windproof beanie and my heavy fleece/synthetic/wool beanies altogether. Though I am a hat junkie and I do wear lots of hats all the time, not just my own :)

Whether it's hiking in the rain or braving a winter storm the DWR coated material sheds the water and the high loft 900fp goose down simply gives you the warmth you need in the form of a super compressible and ultralight hat. If you got one of my hats I'd guarantee it to become one of your top choices for any backcountry trip you take and probably even what you wear around town. You can't beat this weekends sale at $49.50 a hat and I always take exchanges and would even take your return if it didn't live up to expectations, though I've never had one over the years…

The long detailed answer is this… :)

A common question I always get is: How will this perform in wet rainy conditions?

The Black Rock down beanies perform excellent in wet conditions because of a couple key items. The DWR coating and the high quality 900fp down plus the moisture wicking Dryline headband. The DWR sheds water extremely well and the 900 fill down actually wicks and distributes moisture where it can then evaporate while you wear it and retain loft in the wet.

These hats are just as good if not better than any synthetic hat out there. I'll take my hats running in the rain throughout the winter and will actually get them so totally wet the entire material is wetted out yet they still retain loft and provide more warmth than a synthetic version. You never get that cold wet feel of fleece, the heavy soggy feel of wool or the chilly thin feel of a windproof layer. The headband wicks moisture from the inside and overall the down acts as a moisture transport layer that spreads it out and keeps you warm.

Realistically while on a hike in conditions where it may rain you'll have a rain jacket as well. So for light rain or short heavy rain the hat will easily hold it's own. If conditions turn to a constant downpour then pulling a rain hood over your hat will keep it completely dry and warm while the DWR on the hat will keep any moisture that does make it in away.

In the summer on long backcountry trips I'll even wash my hat in the river and clip it to my bag where it will dry in a matter of an hour or so depending on conditions. The 900 fill is what makes this possible and I believe is key for those ultralight down layers like a hat or down sweater. It's hard to describe the versatility though, but I've got so many customers that have told me this is simply the ONLY hat they ever wear anymore in any conditions that I've even had lots of "synthetic guys" say they've converted to down because of my hat ;)

As for cold conditions the hat will out perform any other beanie on the market. If it's so cold you need a full balaclava then you probably also have on a full down parka and hood. Many of my sub-zero customers like the hat because it layers nicely with jackets and becomes that first layer of protection and wears perfectly under hoods, helmets and other layers like a windpro balaclava. I've also got sub-zero models, 3 season SUL models and double sill coated extra water resistant models giving you something for ever condition.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

if a possibility of rain, do you not bring a hooded jacket? or umbrella? since your argument in this regard is wet+cold?

if expecting rain+cold, i wear a base layer but do not DEPEND on it exclusively, there is a rain shell over the top.
    same scenario, i would not expect a down jacket to shed water, so it is UNDER my rain jacket.

my point is, you have to really TRY to wet out goose down. or, just be completely under-prepared. either way, its poor exercise.

just put the hat on your b-day wish list. if nobody buys it for you, I will.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

For the record I'm not trying to argue here, or put anyone's product down. I'm sure these hats are very good pieces, just having trouble making it work for me.

I guess as a do-it-all hat, I'm not sure it would excel in particular areas. Maybe wetting out the hat wouldn't be such a big deal with a hooded rain jacket.

I define them as hiking and around camp.

When hiking, even in the winter in these parts, I may start with a hat, but a lot of time it is the first thing to come off as I regulate heat. I'm not sure I need such a warm hat.

In camp, the 2oz down balaclava would come out as I'm not sweating, and looking for as much warmth as possible to supplement my quilt.

I'm sure I could find a place for this hat somewhere where I'd want more warmth while hiking, but not as much when sleeping, but I think that window is small for me personally.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

"I don't see where this hat would fit in. :( How do you guys use it?"

I use it whenever I want an over-the-ears hat. Quite simply, it's the best hat I've ever owned. However, it does slip around if I wear it while sleeping (I move around a lot). If I want a sleeping hat that stays in place, I'll take a TNF High Point Windstopper hat instead. But for all of my other hat needs, the Black Rock excels.

David Ure

@familyguy

I am going to get in on this – looks like a PERFECT addition to my sleep system. In the Canadian Rockies it gets a mild chilly at night even in mid-July!

If you use a quilt, this would be most helpful.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Bryce, you're overthinking this. On paper, you're right.

The BRDH just works. I was skeptical, even after reading about the hangers raving about theirs. "With a quilt, I want a hood or balaclava," I thought, too. My Down Hat has never been not warm enough while sleeping.

Every other beanie I have lies in the drawer.

It takes up less space and weighs less than even a lightweight synth or merino beanie. Just get one.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i even offered to buy him one! ok, offer expired. shucks.

evan, please pm me

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Certainly a good deal on the hats and thx for the offer but I think I'm good. Always a different way to go about our gear and that's why I learn so much.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hadron sale? :)

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Jim! A sale on the newest released hat! Gimme a break :) This year's sale includes all the colors and last year's Labor day sale was only Black hats. I've sold lots of red, blue and grey so far this weekend, so it's gotta be a popular one.

We just cut another batch of Hadron's last week and have them stocked up in all the sizes but they take so much extra care to work with I doubt they'll go on sale till next year, not to mention the fabric costs an arm and a leg… I actually don't think we'll be stocked in Hadron's for the whole season. There is a limited amount of fabric and I'm only planning to cut another batch or two and use the rest of the fabric for another new piece of gear that's still top secret… Things usually start getting sold out and back ordered around mid November though.

You know you want a nice Black Rock Hat in Grey anyway :) It's the softest of the 20d ripstop nylon we've got. I started using it to line all the Limited Editions and this year's red hats. It's super nice and one of the best colors aside from the always popular Black hat.

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

After a few emails from customers who missed the sale I've decided to extend it for two more days. We didn't go through all the stock we had built so we'll keep it going for a couple more days.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

are these sized to go over our ears? if not, what do people do to keep their ears warm?

does anyone have a pic of how they fit when actually on your head?

anyone in the Boston area interested in going in on one with me?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

steve. they cover the entire ear except for just the very bottom of the lobe. enjoy and buy with confidence…

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Steven,

The hats are designed to give you full coverage on your head and ears. If your like me or Josh and have Jumbo ears (no offense Josh!) you may have an ear lobe poke out, but it won't be any different than the general fit of any other beanie you've got out there. If for whatever reason you had a cone head or huge stretched earlobes, I guess I could always do a custom fit ;) I always take exchanges on new or unused hats. I think getting a hat that fits is always important and have worked to keep updating my design to make each size fit the range better every year.

Here is a pic of my buddy after doing Slovak Direct on the summit of Denali. Shows a good side shot fit of the hat with full ear coverage.Mount McKinley Summit

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

awesome, I have a Mtn Hardware Dome Perignon which I love cause it's big enough (and cut such) that it covers my ears and keeps them warm, that coverage in some thing much lighter (and I'm assuming much warmer) would be great.

or to spend the extra $25 and get the Hadron…

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Get the Original. In my opinion they are still the best. The fabric is slightly thicker with a better DWR coating and wind protection, there is slightly more fill and they are just the right weight for all season use. They are still ridiculously light and compressible though. Most people can't believe it when the package arrives either. The Hadron is a sweet hat though but you are definitely paying for the price of the fabric which is amazingly soft but not as rugged as the Original. I think it makes a much better second hat for when you really really want to be Super Ultralight. The Original will keep you warm in any condition.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

anyone in New England want to split an order?

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I'm not in New England; but I've got the same issue. I REALLY want one; but there's no way I need two.

Oh well……I'll probably buy later in the season. Unless someone in the Kansas City area wants to split an order??????

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

You might not think you need two hats but… I can almost guarantee that if you don't buy one for your wife or girlfriend, they will steal your Black Rock Hat and make it their own… I know this from experience and from every customer who bought one followed by a second order about a week later… ;)

Last day of the sale today then we've got to get moving on finishing up our new Cuben Fiber Rain Mitts for the fall season!

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

but if you make one that fits a dog?…

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

This is true. My wife got hers' first, I would steal it but it's too small for me. I'm waiting for the Skittle Thugs… when bright green is back I will be the first in line for it :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools