Topic

My 0.6 oz pillow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My 0.6 oz pillow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Pillow weighs 0.6 oz. Works very very well under head when lying on back. Works OK on side between head and shoulder. Kind of small to hug when lying on stomach, but works there too.

I cant be first to have thought of this!

Pantyhose (very large) with styrofoam beads.myog pillow

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Nice work!

we've just been discussing bean-bags over at Crazyguyonabike for the purpose of a lightweight camera tripod (great for on the ground or on top of rocks, etc…the beanbag gives you up to about 30 degrees of angle adjustment). I suggested people should MYOG them with some lighter material like silnylon and multiuse as a pillow and/or sitpad-about the easiest MYOG project ever. I didn't think of mesh or pantyhose…dirt cheap-nice going!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've tried styrofoam pillow but the styrofoam pretty quickly squished, but they were bigger pieces.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Instead of styrofoam you could always just dice up an ensolite pad…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Martin,

I've used styrofoam for pillows before and been quite happy with them. I put the foam in lightweight stuff sacks.

There is some reduction in volume over time but adding some more foam takes care of that.

When I posted the idea the biggest complaint from readers was the fixed volume that takes up space in their small packs. I don't have that problem because I carry a large volume pack.

I quit using the foam pillow because I find that I currently have enough stuff to make up a pillow each night. If I didn't have enough extra stuff for a pillow I would still be using the styrofoam.

Daryl

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

… or Cherrios … then eat your pillow for breakfast! LOL

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

You are correct it will compress slightly over time (even 1 night) . But its just beanbag /packing material and pretty darn cheap. The pantyhose works great too and is super easy to make, just cut and tie it off. If you are ?fortunate?! enough to have a wife that is an super xl queen size, that could be free too. Pantyhose material is fairly strong, almost weightless, and stretchy.

I used it one night, found it worlds better than raingear in sack. Conforms exactly to head, holds head in position, warm, firm, but not hard under head, and much more comfortable than raingear in the hyperlight mountain pillow I have.(1.2 oz)

Agreed if you dont have room, you do something else. Its a bit bulky.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools