Topic

Drain Holes: Pack Side Pocket/Front Pocket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Drain Holes: Pack Side Pocket/Front Pocket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Im using all Xpac for a pack design, clearly there needs to be some drainage for the pockets or I will have some extra water to drink.

Question is: What is the best method for creating these holes. Is it just a snip snip or is sewing to reinforce the area around the hole to prevent ripping recommended, Do people use grommets? Do you leave a small spot of the pocket fabric not sewn into the joining seem?

Any thoughts out there

Thanks for any advice.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Consider a red-hot 16p nail, applied to the lowest outside corner.

Practice first, but generally you can get a very clean edge-sealed hole.

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

I like to cut the corners of the pockets at an angle, then fold over and sew a line of stitching. It makes for a nice clean edge. Gromets would work as well though.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I will try both out on my pack, fold and sew the corners for my side pockets and hot nail for the front pocket.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools