Topic

Wind Rivers – Indian Pass to Alpine Lakes Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Wind Rivers – Indian Pass to Alpine Lakes Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tom lohaus

@tomlohaus

I would like to go from Indian Pass over to Alpine Lakes Pass after Labor Day. I would like to do it without an ice ax or crampons. Is there a route that would allow me to do this?

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Yes. I went over Alpine Lakes pass a few weeks ago. The north face of it was mostly snow free, but the south face was completely covered in snow and the upper Alpine Lake was still completely frozen over. We went up the north side and glissaded down the south side using trekking poles. It was sketchy, but it worked. We contemplated going over Indian Pass from East to West, but it looked just too difficult to get up as it too was still completely snow covered. Going from West to east with glissading would have been just fine. We ended up going over Hay Pass later, which was great. I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind for a route, but if you need any more specific advice I am happy to help.

tom lohaus

@tomlohaus

Thanks,

The idea was to come up from Elhart Park to Indian Pass then stay high on Knifepoint glacier all the way to Alpine Lakes Pass then down to Golden Lakes area. Do you know if Knifepoint Glacier can be traversed without an ice ax or crampons?

Thanks

Tom

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

That can be a bit sketchy but doable if the snow isn't to hard to kick steps into. Hay pass would be better or the pass above Timko Lake.

I am headed in for a couple of weeks this Friday and was planning on the indian pass route as well. I will be going in via Boulder Creek and over through Tourist basin. If Indian/Alpine look ok, I will come back out that way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools