Topic

Fly Creek 3 – Fly Leaks Like Crazy!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fly Creek 3 – Fly Leaks Like Crazy!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

We've had our Big Agnes Fly Creek 3 out in about 6 rainstorms of 2 to 4 hours each, with no problem. But on our last trip we had quite a drencher and ended up with water in the tent. It appeared to be leaking along the seam at the top of the fly.

I checked the seam tape and it looked good. I picked at it a bit and it felt good. Then I pushed the seam into a 20 ounce plastic cup, filled it with water and lifted it out.

FlyCreek Fly
    If you have a FC3, I suggest you do the same.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Whoa! Nice camp shower bag.

Keep us updated on how the resolution goes with BA. I'm considering getting a Copper Spur.

David Ure

@familyguy

Holy Sh….

Thanks for posting this Greg. I am blown away. Please let us know what BA comes up with. Are their flys PU coated? I wonder if the PU had not been applied (or silicone for that matter)…..

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

This is not an issue of the coating.

It is an issue with the factory Seam Taping.

I did check a few other seams on the fly and they were OK.

A "Form Comment" to BA Tuesday AM has gotten no response. I was not able to attach an image. But, in fairness to BA, I did mention that I would simply return this to REI.

I'll shoot them another "Comment" and include this BPL link.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

This must be some of that sil-nylon "misting" I've read so much about. :-)

Yikes, that's a lotta water. I hope BA does right by you and if it's not an anomoly, kicks some factory butt. It's not something anybody would be aware of until they're unlucky enough to get hit by a downpour–the last place I want to discover my shelter's not actually a…shelter.

Cheers,

Rick

David Ure

@familyguy

Any updates????

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

No word from Big Agnes as of 4 PM Thursday the 1st.
    Hopefully someone there will wake up and post some info.

Tomorrow morning I head to Lone Pine for a 9 day trip to Toulumne Meadows, and don't expect to be back on line until the 19th.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Has anyone else tested a Fly Creek 3 rain fly?

David Ure

@familyguy

Did BA get back to you Greg?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Nope!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been in a BA FC UL3 in the rain on a few occasions. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 moderately heavy rainy nights plus lots more with light rain. I've never had an issue with the fly leaking. The only rain issue I've had is that the fabric sags a bit so a taut fly becomes a not-so-taut fly and it ends up being stuck to the inner along the long sides of the tent…even if you fully stake it out and do all the tricks like pulling the the tent into the longest shape possible when you stake the 4 corners.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools