Topic

State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

just comparing numbers to numbers (i don't know the specifics of the ASTM E96 method), is the Nemo Osmo fabric only about 18% as breathable as eVENT? any more info or opinions out there?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I don't know, PJ. Could you post the eVENT stats here as well? Nemo uses eVENT fabric in some of their shelters as well. Not sure what their determination is for use of one vs. the other.

paul johnson

@pj

27826gm/m2/24h

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

I found some pictures of eVent Crysallis on BGT.
    It seems showing no rain flap on zipper. But on the ID web site, Crysallis has a rain flap.
    Which is true?

paul johnson

@pj

ID is using a pic which is perhaps 3yrs old. I've seen that same pic of their TegralTex Crysallis bivy now for 2-3 yrs.

I have the eVENT Crysallis and it does NOT have a rain/storm flap over the zipper (i, for one, would feel better if it still had the flap).

The pics on BpGT look, even down to color, exactly like the ID eVENT Crysallis bivy i purchased from C&C Outdoors (cf. my Reader Review of C&C Cust. Srv. before ordering from them) – again, no rain flap. Hopefully, not an ill-advised change on their part. In fact, those pics on BpGT look like it could be my bivy, except for the fact that guy is much better looking than i am!

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Thanks PJ for answer to my question.

I checked both pictures old and new version. There is few discrepancy.
    Logo on the rain flap.
    Looks of the material.
    Camera angle.

I think that new picture is not a TegralTex Crysallis.

Until now, I tried purchase an eVent Crysallis from C&C. They shows eVent Crysallis with rain flap. But they never ship them products to Japan. I couldn't find other shop dealing eVent Crysallis. Perhaps it was good thing for me. I decide to see how things go for a while.

Maybe ID changed the design after taking the photo to save a little weight. But they are selling eVent Crysallis using a different picture. I think it's a problem.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

You may be able to order the Chrysalis directly from Integral Designs. On the ID site they indicate that you can order by e-mail and they have an order form for ordering in the USA or outside of North America. It does require either faxing the order or sending by mail.

Here are the ID links:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/order.cfm?CFID=5653314&CFTOKEN=82812725

http://www.integraldesigns.com/images/US_Mail_Order_Form.pdf

I hope this is of some aid.

Rich

Connie Yang

@connie

I don't want to overlap too much with some information I've just posted but I wanted to at least post the most updated fabric info on Gogo.

Gogo uses the w/b NEMO OSMO fabric:
    Weight: 2.22 Oz/yd2
    Water Vapor Transmission: 5618 g/24h/m2
    Hydrostatic Resistance (Water Proofness) 123 psi

We (I'm an engineer at NEMO) send all our fabric to an independent lab for testing. As a basis of comparison, eVent ev5005 fabric received a lower water vapor transmission score of 5304 g/24g/m2. This, among other reasons concerning FR-treatment and weight is why the Gogo uses OSMO.

I'm not quite sure where the prior eVent water transmission rate was obtained from, but keep in mind that in order for comparisons to be meaningful, you have to compare the same test standard. Each test creates a different water vapor pressure gradient across the fabric specimens which affects the volume of water vapor transmitted per unit time. Our water vapor transmission test is the ASTM E 96 BW (inverted cup). Almost certainly the eVent rate that was quoted above is the JIS L 1099, a Japanese standard that tends to produce higher water vapor transmission rates. Again, the eVent water transmission rate for this standard is only meaningful if you can compare that to other rates for the same standard.

Hope this is helpful,

Connie

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools