Topic

PCT Complete

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT Complete

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Saturday 8/27 I reached the Canadian border after fastpacking the PCT in under 99 days. It was a very challenging year yet I was able to maintain my schedule in spite of the conditions. I credit my low base weight, about 8 lbs on allowing this to happen. I also want to thank all the folks here because without the transformation to UL my trip would have never happened. It is interesting that most of the folks at the front of the pack at the end had 10 lb or less base weights.

It's good to be back in civilization.
    Malto

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Greg,

What a challenging year to complete the PCT in such a fashion. I enjoyed following you on PostHoler. All that snow it's just nuts. Congratulations!

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg –

Wow! Very impressed by your speed and your base weight. Hope you enjoyed the experience. Am curious to hear what you considered the highlight of your travels. How many zeros did you throw in there? (I can't imagine many). Did you find that you had enough insulation at that base weight? Would you do anything differently if you had to do it again?

Again, congratulations. Glad to hear that you finished safe and sound. I enjoyed your trail journals. It's been a very snowy summer up here in Washington and been a bit discouraging trying to do much back country backpacking because of the snow and bugs. That you did that many miles so quickly is really a testament to your conditioning and light load. Very inspiring to read about your travels.

Dirk

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Nice work, Greg!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Congratulations! It's especially noteworthy that you were able to finish so early in such a difficult year!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Hat is off to you Greg.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Much respect, congratulations.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Congratulations Greg! I hope you get a little time to "come back in", without being swarmed.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

An amazing accomplishment!

Will you ever be able to eat Hamburger Helper again?

edit: would love to hear more about your gear/food/water purification: what worked and what didn't when you have more time to digest this whole experience.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Greg,

Congratulations on achieving your goal. What an incredible accomplishment. I enjoyed checking in and catching up on your posts on postholer. I look forward to hearing some of your stories in person.

Cheers!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nice job Greg! An incredible accomplishment by itself, even more amazing given your time.

I looked at your Gear List and saw only the Whisp for rain gear.

I take it that was sufficient?

Dave T

@davet

Greg,

Nice work! Remind me never to go hiking with you in the Sierra snow… I'd never keep up. I hope you both did it fast and had a great time. Big congrats!

Chris Moore

@sorefeet

Locale: PNW

Strong work in a very challenging year!

I have been using a variation on your malto based energy drink that Jack (Tequila Kid) posted. Works great.

Chris

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

BIG congratulations, Greg! 99 days!!! Nice job!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Right on Greg! Nice!!! Hope to hear some cool stories at next years BPL Meeting!

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Congratulations! Awesome! I really want to hike the PCT next year. How did your iphone hold up? I'm curious about their durability on long hikes. I bring mine on hikes, but I don't have insurance on it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Greg,

I just finished reading all 124 pages! Great trip. Seems like the pressure of a deadline weighed heavily on you. If you did not have a deadline and could spend 4, 5, or 6 months would you do it differently? Are there sights or side trips you would have explored?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools