Topic

My Wife’s Day Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My Wife’s Day Pack

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

I'm just throwing it out there. I think I like The Lunch Sack or The Lunch Pail better. Do with them what you will :-)

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

I just received the mini-spool of thread in the mail yesterday and cannot wait the put it to good use!

Thanks John!

-Clint

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

John, I'm in the process of buying a new sewing machine and one of my options is a similar machine to yours (a Singer 527 or a Singer 533). Could you tell me a bit more about your machine? What specific details do you like? Are there things you don't like about this machine? It's obviously quite strong if it can sew trough a layer of plastic, but how do you think it would perform on slippery thin fabrics (silnylon)? Also, do you know if any of the plastic gears have ever been replaced?

And now back on topic. Nice backpack. Maybe I'll use this thread someday if I ever make a similar pack for myself. How much weight do you think you can "comfortably" carry with this pack?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the kind words regarding My Wife's Day Pack.

"…how do you think it would perform on slippery thin fabrics (silnylon)?"

I have sewn .9 oz breathable ripstop nylon, 1.3 oz silnylon, spinnaker, 3D mesh, Leno mesh, PU coated ripstop, nylon and polyester webbing, XPAC VX07 and VX21 on this machine. It sometimes needs a manual boost over some of the harder layered areas of a pack or tarp. With the right thread tension and pressure on the presser foot it has done well in all of the above areas.

The only maintenance ever done on this machine was resetting the needle bar because the machine wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread back in September of 1977. No gears have ever been replaced on this machine.

I like and use the button hole feature "step one" for my bar tacks. I have been able to use mini cones of Gutermann thread without resorting to setting the cone down on the side of the machine. It simply goes in place of a standard spool of thread.

What I don't like is having to manually "boost" the machine through the hard spots but it is a home style not industrial type machine.

"How much weight do you think you can "comfortably" carry with this pack?"

I regularly carry 23 to 25 pounds in my XPAC pack which is frameless and packed burrito style. My Wife's Day Pack has a curved tubular aluminum stay and a plastic frame sheet along with a padded hip belt. Although the volume of this day pack is small I see no reason why it could not carry and equal amount of weight. I'll go out on a limb and say that it could probably go as high as 30 pounds but I don't think we'll ever know for sure. I custom built this pack for my wife for strictly day hiking. It is small in volume and its only hydration capability is a pair of shoulder strap water bottle carriers.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Sweet pack Newton! I like the frame.

How well do the water bottle holders work? I set up a new pack of mine to take something similar to that, but I wasn't sure of going pouch vs shock cord. This method looks promising though; i might have to test them out on my new pack.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Michael,

Thank you, thank you very much! ;-)

I am using the exact same water bottle carriers on my XPAC Pack on multiple training hikes in preparation for my upcoming AT section hike. They keep the water bottles quite secure.

I originally made a 16 oz. pouch/pocket style shoulder strap carrier out of webbing and no-see-um that I used on the AT last year. I believe the shock cord style to be lighter, simpler and more easily accommodates a range of bottle sizes. My no-see-um pouch style was I think a tad easier to use but it was sized to a particular bottle.

ULA makes the bungee/shock cord style standard equipment on all of their packs.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you Newton, I am going to give it a go on day hike soon with this new pack. I'm just waiting on some drawstring line to finish it up. I think do like the simplicity of the water bottle holder.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Fantastic posts, John. Really helpful as I am designing and sewing my own pack. I especially like the brown bag closure. I'd been thinking of exactly the same thing (even calling it the "Lunch Bag" rolltop in my head). It's good to see that it works. I have a slightly different idea than omni tape for keeping the rolltop closed–I'll create a thread with details when the pack is finished.

Once again, nice pack and extremely helpful detail posts. Thank you.

Justin T
    BPL Member

@justapner

I know I’m many years too late to this thread, but I like the idea of the frame sheet with the aluminum stay, how thick of a needle did you have to use to get through that cheap plastic place mat?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Justin T,

I’ve been away for awhile. Sorry for the late response.

As I remember it the sewing needle on my machine at the time was nothing special. I do believe that it was a #14 and seemed to work very well. On my machine it did require some assistance at times and a “heavy” foot on the pedal / switch.

Newton

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools