Topic

Lake Mary to Whitney Portal side trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Lake Mary to Whitney Portal side trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jason Ward

@jason2010

Locale: East Bay

Hi I leave on 8/29 for a 2 solo week trip. First time out solo for more then 5 days. Plan to follow the JMT, side trip up Mt Solomons or Black Gaint from Muir Pass and resupply at South Lake via Bishop Pass, returning to the trail at Palisades Lakes after crossing Bishop,Thunderbolt, Potluck, and Cirgue Passes. Also thinking about cross country on the Big Horn Plateau to Tawny Point. I have read Wenk's book and am taking part of the book and Harrison's JMT and Palisades maps on the trip. I am comfortable with my gear, food, and hiking on class 2, but am still looking for another side trip / detour / advise for the trip.
    Thanks to all who post on these forums, it is a great resource.
    Jason2010

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Sounds like a fun trip. Maybe you should check out Darwin Bench and Darwin Canyon??

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Also thinking about cross country on the Big Horn Plateau to Tawny Point."

As long as you're in that area, you might want to head on up into Wright Lakes Basin and then cross country to Wallace Lake. It's beautiful country and an easy 4 mile hike down Wallace Creek to get back on the JMT. The entire detour could be done in a leisurely 2-2 1/2 days. Another possibility would be to head up to Lake South America and then amble down thru the Upper Kern Basin to the connector trail between the Kern Canyon trail and the JMT. This entire route is on trail, mostly very obvious with some sketchy parts from Lake South America down to the JMT connector trail. This would get you back to the JMT. Again, beautiful country and an easy 2 day detour. Whatever you decide, the stretch on the JMT around Bighorn Plateau offers some of the most magnificent panoramas in the Sierra. Both the Whitney Crest and The Great Western divide are spread out before you unobstructed. Fergawdsake, do bring a camera. I passed that way 4 days ago on my way back from Kaweah Basin via Shepherd Pass and I'm still overcome by the memory of those panoramas. As many times as I have been there, it still reduces me nearly to tears.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools