Topic

UPPER temp limits of sleeping bag comfort?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UPPER temp limits of sleeping bag comfort?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

It seems to me that we put a lot of thought into the lower limits of sleeping bags; talking about the specifics of wearing other garments to get another few degrees cooler. Then, the upper limits are often brushed over (just use as a quilt when it's warm, for example). So, at how many degrees above your bags rating do you find yourself turning it into a quilt. At how many degrees above the rating is 'quilt-style' not enough and you find yourself hanging more and more of your body out from under it? Asked another way – what is your experience with the comfortable range of a bag around it's rating – not adjusting clothing – only adjusting zipped/unzipped; then how many more degrees as a full quilt? I recently had a 15F bag on a trip and we didn't get below 45F – I was uncomfortable all night because spots that were draped with the bag were hot and uncovered spots were cold – I could never really reach a comfortable equilibrium.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'm really only comfortable about 10-15 degrees above my quilt or bag's rating, and 15 degrees is really pushing it for me. My first bag was a 15 degree Marmot Sawtooth, and even in the mid-30s, I'd wake up sweating. You're right, it's hard to find an equilibrium at a certain point. Draping and venting can only do so much, for me at least. Excesivelly perspiring in a down bag isn't a good thing, either.

I changed to a 32 degree quilt, figuring it would be easier to push it lower with extra clothing than it would be to make a 20 degree quilt comfortable at 45F. I spent one night with that quilt when it was in the 60s, and lucky for me I had brought a bivy, as I ended up sleeping on top of the quilt, with the bivy and my clothes enough to keep me warm.

Now I still have the 32 degree quilt, a 40F 2/3 quilt, and a 5 degree bag. I think ideally I'd squeeze a 15 or 20 degree quilt back in there if I could afford it.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I used a 35 degree bag in 55 degree weather and it was annoying, pretty much as you described.

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

Looking at EN charts seems to also suggest about 15 degrees above rating before going into darker red.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Bag is only part of sleep system:

example:

tent closed up, long underwear, puffy jacket, thicker socks = 15-20F
    tent closed up, long underwear, bag cinched up tight =20-25 F
    tent well ventillated , long underwear, bag cinched tight, = 30F
    tent well ventillated, long underwear, bag not cinched up = 40F
    tent well ventillated, long underwear, bag open at foot and neck = 50F
    tent well ventillated, no long underwear, bag open at foot and neck = 55F
    tent well ventillated, no long underwear, bag unzipped = 60F
    tent well ventillated, no long underwear, bag used as quilt as needed=65F-70F

Now can add variable of shifting down from top to bottom as well and customize it even more if have bag with continuous baffles.

Kristin Fiebelkorn
    BPL Member

@kushbaby

Locale: South Texas

I am in San Antonio, Texas, and it stays quite warm throughout the night here and in much of the surrounds. I really appreciate the post above, looking at various configurations depending on temp. Not hiking right now (recovering from ankle injury), but as I'm a "hot" sleeper, when I head out I was planning to leave the bag at home and use a tent plus either silk or CoolMax sleepsack (I own both). I would love to hear additional tips or arrangements for comfort in hot weather sleeping (especially a barrier over the sleepsack that wouldn't leave me sweaty and uncomfortable)…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive never had any issues …. if its that warm, just sleep in yr insulating clothing or cover the core of yr body

a 20F quilt would have the same issue as a 20F bag unzipped and draped

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

For warmer weather desert trips I usually take a narrowish silk 2.5 oz Apex quilt and no other insulation. Very breathable, nice against the skin (not clammy like nylon gets) and light.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools