Topic

UltralightCold Weather Hammock Pad Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UltralightCold Weather Hammock Pad Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

"Could I survive in 30 degree weather with one wrapped around me?"

If you had enough calories to outlast the shivering muscles.

You are dreaming too much. Mylar space blankets suck. Get two sheets of ripstop nylon and either sew in a layer of synthetic insulation (like climashield), or baffle them and fill with goose down. End of story.

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

This is my first post and I certainly don't compare with any of the brilliant and experience folks on this board.

Trying to design some Boy Scout projects I have used a 50 year old strong like bull sewing machine to use a size 18 needle , a zig zzg stitch w/o thread and the material folded over into between 16-20 thickness. (Makes tons of holes in a heck of a hurry.) I have tried this on $2.00 mylar sheet that require packing tape support or it won't make it thru the night, Sol themal orange bivy which also required strategically place packing tape, tyvek thema what ever which feels just great after a pass thru the washing machice, and finally Sol extreme Bivy which has the soft inside. I use these inside my bags when only wearing silks or liteweight polypros.

My conclusion is that as long as I watch my heat level just like you need to do in a bag, I do not sweat. I feel there is some temperature benefit, but have not quantified. I actually bought a heat lamp and two thermometers to test this out but that will wait until next weekend. Either the Tyvek radiant or the SOL stronger bivy which have needle holes top and bottom about every 1/8th of an inches is very comfortable and just plain nice to sleep with. ( I also loved my poncho liner in the servive and the mummy bag my wife made out of a "woobie" that also is a joy to sleep on but weighs over a pound.)

My upcoming "shade tree" temperature test may provide some insight but better men than I probably know how to perform a reliable test. I would be happy to send samples of the needle punched Radiant tyvek if anyone is interested. Regards, Paul French

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools