Topic

Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The article is titled Go Farther, Faster With These Ultralight Essentials … I always get suspicious when I see the word Essentials

But some of the suggestions I can definitely live with:

• Golite Shangri-la 3 … the little brother of the Shangri-la 4+ that housed 5 of our scouts at Philmont in 2010
    • 22 gram Baladeo knife
    • size small RidgeRest Solite pad …. not for this old neoair addict but at 9 oz and an r-value of 2.8 it has a legitimate place in a UL kit
    • last but not least, a frameless Granite Gear Virga pack … great bang for the buck and weight for anyone who doesn't have all low volume gear
    Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

I thought that was a semi decent article as well. Good pack recommendation for sure.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I own the 22g Baladeo, and I don't think it's an adequate Scout knife. It's light, indeed, but the minimalist design limits durability, utility and creates issues for how it's stowed/carried.

I love the knife, but it's not all-arounder.

John L Collins
    BPL Member

@wvcubdad

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail

Finally got my copy today in the mail and that was the first article I read. Interesting, I guess I was hoping for a bit more but it was a good list of stuff to invest in. I hope they continue to do that and even do similar articles in Boy's Life.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools