Topic

GSP newbie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals GSP newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeanine Taylor
    BPL Member

@jetaylor

Locale: Oregon

I have been looking for a lightweight GPS unit at a low price. I also carry a paper map.

I see that amazon has the Garmin Geko for $98.99. This is a huge discount from the regular price, even if the model is discontinued.

Looking for some advice if this is really a great deal that I should jump on. Noticed that a used one sold for $60 in gear swap a year ago.

Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I changed the subject to be "GPS" instead of "GSP."

Some of the Garmin Geko 101 units sold are refurbished by Garmin. I purchased one for $60. Note that the firmware date inside it is 2001-2002. There are also some being sold as refurbished that are not at all, and they are simply used.

In the vast world of GPS multichannel receivers, that is quite old, and it can't be expected to lock up a position in anywhere near the time as a new design. However, if you have a minute to let it work, it is OK. I think it is slightly over 3 ounces.

Some purchasers would be upset to find that it has no map database capability, either for a topo map or for streets and roads. However, that helps keep battery consumption low. If I am out backpacking solo, sometimes I will mark my car's location for the return.

–B.G.–

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools