Topic

NEX EVF

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography NEX EVF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

NEX fans, your prayers have been answered with an EVF (for the forthcoming NEX-5N). And what an EVF–a 2.4M-dot OLED. This one leaps to the head of the pack.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sony_fda-ev1s/

The Zeiss 24/1.8 looks promising too. Hide your wallets.

Cheers,

Rick

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

The 24mp NEX 7 with built-in EVF looks good too, though it is heavier.

I'm not so excited by the EVF as I would have been when I bought my NEX 5 last autumn. I am now used to flipping up the screen and holding the camera against my chest, which is very stable.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'm excited to see some E-Mount lenses!

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Good point Eric. I am excited by more lenses. I've kept my Canon 450D because of the wide angle and telephoto zooms. I like the look of the 55-210mm E zoom, which is lighter than my Canon 55-250 zoom. I'd like to see a wide angle zoom too.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

Personally that EVF is useless for me… because that articulating screen is very good

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How many more pictures/battery will you get if you never use the articulated screen? I haven't found this on the dpreview forums. I am very interested in the new NEX. I also have been looking at the colors said cameras are producing and am a bit concerned when compared with C/N folks. Here's a chance to sell me one!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

All sorts of things consume power–the displays, the shutter, the auto focus, the flash–how they divvy up on a particular camera is almost impossible to say. The CIPA score should be taken less as predictive than as a way to compare cameras. Your shooting habits and your menu settings can wring out a lot more frames than the factory settings. It seems likely an EVF consumes less power than the back display, but I wouldn't want to bet that's the case with every camera.

As to color, use an expanded color space and shoot RAW. Then you needn't be too concerned about color response across brands (Foveon sensors being a notable exception). I've never used a Sony camera so don't know what their jpegs look like before post processing. FWIW Sony produces chips for others, notably Nikon.

Cheers,

Rick

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

from Imaging Resource :
    Battery. The Sony NEX-7 draws power from a proprietary NP-FW50 lithium-ion battery pack, which is rated by Sony for 430 shots to CIPA testing standards when using the LCD display, an improvement of 30% over the battery life of the previous NEX-5 model. When using the built-in electronic viewfinder, rated battery life falls to 350 shots.
    extensive technical details here :
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX7/NEX7A.HTM
    BTW, a mate commented that the EVF has to be seen to be believed. He was very impressed by it.
    Franco

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wow. So the OLED screens are finally showing their muscle! Maybe the diff is that the LCD screen back is … 900,000 pixels whereas the EVF is ~2million for the drop? Assuming I don't have my facts backwards…

Kev Test
    Spectator

@klimthesmartcow

Locale: South East

You have it right, but I don't believe that OLED screens are typically higher density, I think much of the cameras price is the development cost of that viewfinder. Sony wants to be able to switch to the EVF, which will draw many consumers to the camera, but they needed it to have a very high resolution to convince more advanced photographers that have been using conventional viewfinders for years. The screen on the back however is the same density as sony cameras have had for years.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

I'm not sure OLED displays are necessarily higher resolution than LED, but at least from what I've seen they are both "crisper" and have richer, more saturated colors at similar dot counts.

Olympus has two cameras with rear OLED displays–XZ-1 and E-P3–both are about 600k-dot. And they'll knock your socks off.

EVF resolution is perhaps more critical than rear panel displays because they're competing with dslr and rangefinder optical viewfinders. To do so they need to be extremely sharp and have no lag or smearing. These Sony displays are a big step towards that goal.

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools