Topic

nalgene canteen hydration bladder for steripen users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear nalgene canteen hydration bladder for steripen users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    adam spates

@adamspates

Locale: southeast

Using a Steripen requires wide mouth bottles. So I carry 2 1L Nalgene wide mouth collapsible canteens. Total of 4oz. I used to carry a 2L Camelbak AND a Nalgene to drink out of. Since trying to go lightweight and with a MSR Hyperflow that failed on day 2 of a 10 day hike, I've switched to a Steripen Adventure Opti. Which means no more pumping filtered water directly into a Camelback packed up in my pack. So to utilize the Steripen without having to unpack my pack and do 2 1L Nalgenes, dump that into my Camelbak and then repack or to lack the convenience of a hydration blatter I have devised a system. If this has been poster before on this site….then my regrets. If it hasn't then hopefully this will help someone else.

First you will need a Nalgene 1L widemouth collapsible cantene. Use Steripen or drops,tablets etc…..

Nalgene with Steripen in use

Then you will need an MSR Dromedary 3-in-1 cap. $5 at REI. weight 20grams.

MSR Dromedary 3-in-1 cap

You will then need an MSR Hydration kit. Which is just the Hydration hose. $20 at REI.
    weight 66grams.

MSR Hydration Kit

Then screw the Hydration kit on to the 3-in-1 cap. Screw the cap onto the Nalgene.

Hydration kit and cap connected and on Cantene.

Turn it upside down and place it in water bottle pocket on the side of you pack. Run hydration hose through load lifter strap or other strap and through hydration hose loop on shoulder strap. If you don't have a loop a rubber band works great! The hose comes long enough to reach from pocket over shoulder on a big pack on a big man. You can cut some of the hose off to shorten and save weight. In the pick below it is too long for my wife as it is fit to me.

wife with nalgene hydration set up

It is good to put a sock or something in the bottom of your water bottle pocket to protect the fitting on the cap. This setup has not leaked with me yet. It is very convenient for me. The whole set up weighs 147grams or 5.1oz for Nalgene,cap and hose. It works for me! I hope this helps other Steripen users!

"Escape to Reality"

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

+ 1 Adam, I use the exact same system and it works very well for me….

The wide mouth Nalgenes are also easier to clean and dry than Platys, IMO.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

+2 on your system.

I discovered the Nalgene Canteens after originally using a MSR dromedary bag for a bladder.

Only thing I do different is I use a Camelback Big Bite valve, which is one piece with no parts to fail.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Good system! I use 2 and 3L Cantenes with a UV Aquastar, which screws on and can be inverted, which improves agitation compared to stirring, but I think both approaches work.

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools