Topic

ZPacks has a new pack and shelter…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks has a new pack and shelter…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I did make it over to Trail Days on Saturday morning. The main manufacturer-vendors were ZPacks, Six Moons Designs, MSR, Black Diamond and Granite Gear. From Portland, both Next Adventure and Mountain Shop had booths. There wasn't really anything new to see but those are the two best shops for UL stuff, so I was glad to see their effort to be there.

Six Moons had every tent they make set up; it was really nice to walk around and compare the whole line. I was most impressed with the Skyscape and the Haven.

ZPacks had a Hexamid Solo and a new Hexamid Plus, the new Exo pack, and all the CF clothing.

Unfortunately, Granite Gear didn't have the new Crown available.

Tarptent was not there on Saturday morning. I was really looking forward to seeing a Stratospire (assuming he'd have one there). No idea if Tarptent showed on Sunday.

I did say hello to Erin/"Wired" (who has been writing a very complete blog of her thru-hike) and Buttercup, a thru-hiker from somewhere in Europe. I think more of the hikers were trickling in on later Saturday and Sunday and many were remaining in the Gorge/Portland area until Monday to hit the trail again. An exception was Erin, who left on Saturday.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Henry had a prior commitment over Labor Day so Tarptent was not there.

He will be exhibiting at the ALDHA-West Gathering at Lake Wentachee Sept 23-25.

See http://www.aldhawest.org

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Chris,

For several years I've been using myog carbon fiber tubing frames similar to the one shown on the exo pack. I've had nothing but positive experience with them. No failures.

The frames I have been making weigh less than 2 ounces and transfer all the weight to the waist belt. Looks like the exo frame should do the same but I have never used one.

Here's a link for more info:

discussion

Daryl

J. Lopes

@jay_nj

I recently replaced diy aluminium frame stays on my golite jam for a diy carbon tubular frame with a top loop very similar to the z-packs one and it works better then I even expected!

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Chris Chatman,

Did your ever receive your pack? I am talking with Joe about ordering one now and I wanted to see if you had received yours and done any testing. Thanks!

Chris Chatman
    BPL Member

@chrischatman

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Daryl: thanks for the info

Heath: haven't received the pack yet, but it's been about 3.5 weeks so I expect it soon – I'll post my thoughts when I get it

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Thanks Chris! I'm hoping that it works out well.

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

Joe Valesko from Zpacks posted these new videos on YouTube:

Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus Tent

Zpacks Exo Backpack

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

I carried the Exo pack last week on a 5 day trek in the Beartooths. The pack weighs in at 13.5oz. I carried 18-22lb. The carbon fiber frame effectively transferred the load to the hip belt and carried very well. I thought I would feel the external stays against my back but I didn't feel them at all. The hipbelt pockets are generously sized as is the external mesh pocket.
    Overall, I was really impressed with this pack. I think it would easily handle another 10 pounds with no problem.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Mark, thanks for the update. Please update us again when/if you carry 30+ pounds. That load is typical of what I'd carry out here due to having to walk so far between water sources at this time of the year. I'm trying out a completely frameless pack right now for the first time and I'm not all that crazy about the load on my shoulders.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I just loaded 35.8 lbs into my zpacks exo (zpacks says the max weight is 30 lbs) and I went round the block. It was very comfortable ride. The suspension put the weight on my hips, the hipbelt doesn't dig in but provides very good support. I like that the bottom of the packs rides high at my belt. The packs stands me up instead of tilting me forward. The stays never touch me no matter how I adjust the pack. The pack is built wide and thin so it feels light on my back. I took the same load of gear and put it in my old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone expecting the Nimbus to be more comfortable but it felt heavy and I was bent forward. The zpacks exo actually handled the weight better however I would not go over 30 lbs, it's a lot of weight to put on those carbon stays, more like carbon straws.

The zpacks exo is the lightest, best suspension pack on the market. This is my goto pack.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Ahhh…such posts merely whet the appetite to get a new pack. My Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall pack is a GG Murmur. In the colder times I carry a SMD Starlite.

I've switched to sleeping in a hammock so I've been keeping my eye on the Exo because I no longer need to carry a pad that I can use as the frame (I use an underquilt rather than a pad with my hammock). Thanks for pushing the limit with the Exo and giving it a spin around the block. I don't think I'd ever hit the 30 pound mark again, but it's nice to know that pack could carry it for a short distance if I needed to carry extra water to a campsite.

Frederic Chang
    BPL Member

@freddych

I think I will be in for one shelter with beak and no mesh!

Jacob Blumenfeld

@surfingdwedge

Locale: Northern California

If anyone was wondering about this tent or wanted to get a better perspective on its size..

Here we go! some recent pics from our winter San Mateo Canyon trip:
    Edit: the dates on the pics are obviously wrong, this was on Dec 3rd 2011, gotta change my camera settings!

soloplus

andsoloplus

I would say that the tent was perfect size for the two of us, but I would definitely be uncomfortable sharing the space with anyone but a significant other. Very very spacious for one. My girlfriend and I are both 5ft 6 though.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Good day you all!

I'm considering buying the Hexamid Solo Plus, to be used by 1 person.
    The construction is very unique (putting the groundsheet on the netting-floor, so I wonder if one of you has had heavy rain on your Hexamid Solo Plus.
    Did the spray of heavy rain affect the conditions in the tent? Did you keep your mat and sleeping bag dry?

Marla

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLqfol0IU3s
    I have used my solo in heavy rains in the NW US with no problems.I am small,about 5' tall.I have the tarp and separate inner net with cuben floor,not the attached net floor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Hexamid solo works fine for me (5'10") but would have ordered the Solo Plus if available at the time.

@Anna
    : although the Silnylon Patrol Shelter has never been used except to set up, it appeared to definitely offer more protection in rain than the H. solo, so I purchased a cuben version with clip-ins to attach my Hexamid cuben floor. MLD executed this very well. Which do you, having owned both, prefer in rain ?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I love both but I do like the extra headroom on the hexamid.But yes I will never get rid of my cuben patrol,I love it ! Both are fabulous in the rain.

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

I decided for a Hexamid tarp and Hexanet bugshelter and for me this is the perfect combination. I asked ZPacks for extra height of the bathtub walls so I have extra protection in case of heavy rains.
    I love it!

Marla

Hexamid and HexanetHexanet

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow Maria – looks great. What is the approximate weight?

Marla
    BPL Member

@masanella

Hi David,

The Hexamid Solo Plus and the Hexanet together weigh 430 gram (15.16 oz) including the stuffsack, but without the stakes.

To pitch both tents perfectly, you need in fact 12 stakes. You can also clip the Hexanet innertent to the Hexamid outertent, but then de pitch of the innertent isn't very tight (the net hanging down too much).

At this moment I'm trying to find out how I can combine the stakes for both parts.

Marla

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools