Topic

Vestibule for pyramid tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Vestibule for pyramid tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Has anyone seen or heard about a vestibule for a pyramid tent? Seems like it might be useful, but I've never seen one. Any MYOG designs out there?

When car or kayak camping I always bring a cheap blue poly tarp and poles to set up over a picnic bench or whatever so we can stay outside when it rains (umbrellas help a lot, too!).

It is more difficult when backpacking if you want to keep the weight down: one can cook under a tarp if you are careful, and maybe even in a pyramid tent if you are more careful. I wonder if some sort of vestibule might help?

Your thoughts…?

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Look at the Royce tent in Horace Kephart's book 'Camping and Woodcraft'.
    It's basically a half pyramid with a vestibule that can be configured in several ways. The weight difference to a half pyramid with a vertical front is negligible.
    http://bookdome.com/outdoors/Camping-Woodcraft/Types-Of-Light-Tents-Part-3.html
    (bottom of the above page).

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Look at the Royce tent in Horace Kephart's book 'Camping and Woodcraft'.
    It's basically a half pyramid with a vestibule that can be configured in several ways. The weight difference to a half pyramid with a vertical front is negligible.
    http://bookdome.com/outdoors/Camping-Woodcraft/Types-Of-Light-Tents-Part-3.html
    (bottom of the above page).

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Interesting design. But I already built the pyramid tent so I'm looking for a design for an add-on vestibule.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

NT

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I used a simple flat tarp porch to use with my shangra-la 3 to cook under in the winter.
    I'm sure you could make a zip-in door panel with a roof to block wind from one side and rain or snow from the top.

Dave

porch

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you just leave the door open, roll it up, and attach with velcro (or whatever) you have an area like a vestibule inside the tent. Of course, that uses up tent area. I've cooked with canister stove. There's an area to take off wet clothes. etc.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

After looking at Franco's pictures- I had an idea. Since your door zips are in the middle of the panel, and this is a MYOG, then you can easily buy the corresponding zippers and zip in a triangular panel to the door opening- prop it up with trekking poles and you have a porch.

If you don’t want a porch, but a vestibule, you could zip in a panel like the nemo vestibules.

Enjoy,

Dave

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/product/nemo-espri-2p-vestibule

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

NT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools