Topic

Question about the Packa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question about the Packa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

Can a Packa and MLD Rain Chaps work for a winter backpacking shell? I have my doubts but, I really don't want to buy another waterproof jacket and pants just for winter if I don't have to. I have a feeling the advantage of ventilation that the Packa offers could be something that makes it less than ideal for colder months like this. Also I'm just talking backpacking, not any cross country skiing or anything like that. At most possibly some snowshoeing. I was just wondering if anyone knew how well this might work or you know, not work.

Eddie Hinnant

@cedartree

I think the Packa works best in Winter/cold hiking. Lots of people also pair it with the MLD chaps. Hammock Forums has a good bit of discussion regarding the Packa and what to wear with it.
    Cedar Tree

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

What is the difference where you hike? For me a winter shell means surviving an arrest when I am in the mountains. But if I am in flat MN I can use anything. In fact snow is much easier to shed than rain.

As far as the Packa, I tested one and like the idea a lot. If I know I am going to be in it all the time it might work. Read this for clarification.

http://tinyurl.com/3fw93uy

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

I'm in N Ga. and I was thinking about areas outside of thick snow areas aka Sierras, Rockies ect. more of the light snow to no snow winter areas. I was just thinking if it's cold would the Packa insulate the way a normal jacket might since it doesn't cinch around the waist. Thanks for the link, I hadn't even thought to look there!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Well if you have your pack on it is going to be cinched pretty tight, right?

It should be fine for you.

Ray

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

After taking a look at the reivews from Backpackgeartest.org, I think my questions are pretty much answered. The pictures and info gave me a much better view of the whole bottom half and in what conditions I'll be able to use it. Thanks everyone!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

IF that sort of non-permeable but vented shell works for you and your metabolism and activity level, I see no reason that combo wouldn't work fine.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I am seriously considering one of these after my last trip where my pack liner kept my gear dry but seriously increased the weight of my pack. CedarTree is concerned it may be to large with my GG Murmer. Anyone successfully using a Packa with a pack of similar size, about 2,200 ci?

Thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If it helps, take a look at this thread. Scroll down for photos of me wearing a small Packa and an SMD Starlite pack, it might give you an idea of how it would go with a Murmur.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46016

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Thanks Doug. The pictures helped a lot. I think that this will work.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

How does that dog's left hind leg feel after a few hours of sleeping that way?

And, Doug, how did you find that very old man to pose for the pics in your link?

So many questions, about life, the universe, and everything. But I'm on the road at 6 am tomorrow, so I'll likely have no answers in due time…still, I'll wonder about that pooch, and his leg.

I wish everyone the best–have a grand July-August, ya'll!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have an XL eVent Packa that I use with my Murmur without any problems. There's a cinch cord around the pack cover portion that you can use to tighten the pack cover part. It works really well. Eddie put a lot of thought into the design and it shows.

I also really like the extra length of the jacket in the back so that it covers your rear end.

Back to the OP's original question…I don't go out in the winter, but went in early April this year. Between the eVent and the pit zips I think it's a great system.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Sounds like it! I could have really used pit zips this week and something to cover my pack. We had a continuous downpour for two straight days. Luckily my down all stayed dry in a dry bag. I never realized how much water my Murmer could absorb! It certainly wasn't my cuben tarp absorbing water. Currently the Packa is out of stock in Med so I will have to wait two weeks :( Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

It is not listed on his site yet but Eddie will be offering the Packa in a new lighter material. I have a prototype and he has ordered 50 to be offered soon. It is made from 10D sil, the same material that Big Agnes ultralite tents are made. It weighs 7 oz. only one oz more than his cuben fiber version.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I have one of the 10d Packas and all I can say is WOW!

The 7oz weight makes the difference for me. The seams are taped too. Long pit zips.

If you wear (or want to wear ) chaps, the Packa covers your butt. Ideal rain protection, IMO. And that's coming from someone who enjoys a Gatewood Cape!

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

That is perfect! I have been avoiding one because of the 12 oz.

Eddie Hinnant

@cedartree

Estimated delivery date is July 10th. Don't know the color yet, but there will only be 1 color. They will be charcoal or light green and I won't know until I see them. Don't know the cost yet either. I will have to calculate the final cost when I receive them taking into account manufacturing price + shipping + duties….

However, a tentative retail price is about $175 + shipping. Could be a little more or a little less.

There has only been two 10D prototypes made, and both owners posted on this thread.
    If you guys could give a little feedback about how the 10D Packa performs, I would be grateful. My biggest concern is durability.

Thanks for the positive comments,
    CT

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Thanks for the update. I was just getting ready to query you about them. Color doesn't matter to me as long as the durability is passable for UL use since I am not one for bushwhacking or off trail hiking beyond going around a choke point on a trail. Will you be posting them on your website or should I can I reserve one from you?

Would love to hear about the durability from you folks. How did they do brushing against light overgrowth? This is a concern on some of the less maintained trails I have run into recently.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I picked mine up very recently from someone on Gear Swap.

I haven't used it yet, and probably won't for awhile since I avoid the woods in FL summers – man do I miss the mountains!

I have the pale green and like it a lot. It is pleasant…a shade or two lighter than olive.

Regarding durability…that of course is my primary concern. That said I am optimistic that for most trail conditions, if I'm not crashing thru the brush, it will hold up fine. Going UL has taught me to be careful with my gear in general, so I'm not worried. Definitely tougher material than Driducks!

Question for Eddie: Is it sil outside, PU inside? I'm asking to see if it could be repaired w/Tenacious tape on the INSIDE if needed.

Eddie Hinnant

@cedartree

Yes, sil out/ pu in. Tape should work well on inside for repairs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools