Topic

Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest and cost efficient sunglasses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I normally don't bring them, but for some reason sunglasses sound appealing on my next trip.
    Anyone have any suggestions for super ultralight sunglasses for less than $40?

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Hi Chris,

Super ultralight sunglasses – that would be the sunglasses you
    get at the optometrist office after they dilate your eyes.
    They weigh 4 grams. Pack flat. Give wrap-around protection.

I bet your optometrist would give you a pair for free.
    That is the lightest and cost effective sunglasses
    I can think of.

Al

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Try these (Sport EZE)

I like these so much that I use them all the time–on and off the trail. I usually get 6-9 months out of each pair.

Tips:

*Don't try to roll them back up in the case–if you need to store them keep them mostly flat (zip lock bag)

*When they get dirty keep a few alcohol lens cleaner packets handy–they work great on these glasses

*I you don't like the logo you can use a black marker over the lettering

*Make them even lighter by removing the adjustment toggle and replace it with a #6-32 machine screw nut–stainless steel. This is used as a slider and is faster and easier to adjust. Total weight (w/o case) after this mod: 10 grams.

BPL Review

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Weight?

roland sison

@rolandsison

There are, but $40 is not a branded one, you are looking for this cheap item, so perhaps there are fake and less than the price you want. Most lightest sunglasses are expensive if they are authentic.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Find some knockoff Maui Jim Ka'anapali Sunglasses – Titanium Polarized

I got some years ago from SAMs club. 40-45.

Extremely light and real glasses not some crsp for your dilated eyes.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

you don't usually bring sunglasses?!? that can't be good for your eyes especially at elevation..

I don't even leave the house on a cloudy day with out some shades on

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I have some native reactor's with reflex lens I'll sell you for $50 shipped. brand new

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I suggest you to to your local Performance bike shop, a national chain if you don't know. They have a house-brand of riding glasses that are made by the same factories (three) used by other brands, and the plastic lenses are all UV-A/B effective. Many have swappable-lenses, there are several shapes and sizes for different faces, and they're light. All include a light case and cleaner rag. There are several choices under $40, and they have regular sales.

Yes, they have a website and do mail order, too.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Steve,

Thanks for the Sport Eze suggestion. I just ordered a couple pair to see how they work.

Daryl

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ralph Lauren polarized wire frame sunglasses from a thrift store. 1oz and $1.99 :)

I got some Oakley's at a garage sale for $1. 0.8oz if I leave the 4.5oz "torpedo" case behind.

Oakley sunglasses

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I bought a pair of these Flying Fisherman polarized glasses at Walmart as my beach/pool glasses (having lost sunglasses in the water) – I wanted them to be cheap, light but good lenses. They are quite good – I wear them a lot in fact over more expensive Tifosi and RayBans. .7oz

http://www.mosquitocreekoutdoors.com/product/Flying-Fisherman-Key-West-Sunglasses/Flying_Fisherman_Sunglasses

And I do like the Performance riding glasses – also look at campmor who often have tifosi rimless riding glasses on sale for less than $40.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

These are on SAC all the time for around $50. They are super light, solid titanium temples and bridge, no frames/rims, and polarized. I think they weigh 6 grams. Pretty ridiculous light. I really like mine.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't know about lightest, but very light. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, in their tools section they have really good sunglasses for $7-$10. Good looking too – just like the expensive brands.

Jeff LaVista
    BPL Member

@lavista

I'll keep on wearing my Maui Jim's, gotta look cool for all the lady hikers.

But if you're hiking along ledges, maybe grab some croakies – it was pretty depressing to watch my rayban aviators tumble down a rock scramble and off a ledge, out of vie and long gone, on the appalachian trail.

I figure a good pair of shades are multi purpose. If you get a set with a silvered tint, you can use the front half as a mirror for washing up. Sun protection is obvious, and if you're moving through thick foliage or bushwhacking it can be nice to have eye protection.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“Try these (Sport EZE) ”

+1
    I use these almost every day biking. Since I wear glasses, these easily slip over any glasses and keep the glasses on when sweating. However I have broken about 3 over 5 years. But that’s because my sweat corrodes the clamp on the elastic band. And I just buy another set.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Big 5 Sporting Goods always has decent sunglasses on sale $25 to $30.

On longer trips up high I bring a spare set of paper glasses I got from an optometrist, just in case.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on Big 5 (Western US chain) having good buys on glasses.

Costco has has some in the past, using their regular eyeglass frames with polarized lenses.

On any given day you will find me wearing Ray Ban Wayfarer's with stick-on bifocal reading lenses installed. Not ultralight, but comfortable. I carry micro-readers in my first aid kit for backups. I couldn't read a map without some "cheaters."

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

http://practicon.com/product.aspx?id=40369

Need a group buy I guess… ;-)

(Ah I kept reading, so kudos to George.)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools