Topic

What is Shoulder Season backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What is Shoulder Season backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I recently had a nice e-mail thanking me for the trip info.

But, he asked me "What exactly is shoulder season backpacking?"

It is a term that seems to be used more in the past few years. And it is one I use myself.

I gave the gentleman a quick answer (late or early season backpacking, borrowed from the travel industry, yadda, yaddda, yadda) but thought it might be a good idea to write something more thorough on my website.

So here it is…

Now I can be lazy and just give the next guy a link!!! :D

Shoulder Season – The Time in Between

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Very much looking forward to shoulder season and getting Glacier back from the circus.

For me shoulder season is when I'll probably be hiking in snow at least a bit, but definitely won't be skiing.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Here in CO, that's about my criteria as well.

:)

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

where I live, shoulder season is that time of year where its still mostly sunny, but the temps can drop as low as 55* or rise as high as 75*.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if the bugs are completely gone and I'm not on snowshoes- it's got to be shoulder season :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It's when fall foliage is in full swing, and those of us fortunate enough to live in or near Washington State can head for the high country to feast our eyes on the golden larix lyalli (alpine larch). Washington is nice enough to give us 2-3 weeks between the end of early "High Buck" hunting season September 25 and the opening of general hunting season in mid-October, just at the time when the alpine larch is at its peak! Of course, rain/snow and cold temps are to be expected!

Or it's in the spring the snow is not melted out yet. This year, the "spring shoulder season" extended into August!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Spring and Fall. Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, with the trails clear of snow.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If I'm out backpacking, it's gotta be shoulder season. I never seem to get in trips during "optimal" or "peak" times of the year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools