Topic

Eagle Creek Hike around Wathum Lake, OR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Eagle Creek Hike around Wathum Lake, OR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

July 21st: I left Atlanta GA and the 100 degree heat/100% humidity and headed out to visit my brother in Portland OR. We only had two nights to camp out, so we decided on the short, but quintessential Portland Loop around Eagle Creek up to Wahtum Lake, past Mt. Chinidere, and then follow the Benson Plateau back. We slept the first night at 7.5 mile Camp by the river, and the second night, we slept tentless by Wahtum Lake. Conditions were perfect with highs in the 70's and it got into the 40's at night around the lake. The views on top of Chinidere were some of my favorite as there was still snow on the backside at 4200 ft. To note, there were heaps of mosquitoes on the Benson plateau, but they weren't so bad around Wahtum Lake. Here were some of my favorite pics:

Tunnel Falls
    Tunnel Falls on the Eagle Creek Trail

site
    Our second night site on Wahtum Lake

Mt. Chinidere
    Some good views from the top of Chinidere. Benson Plateau/Mt. St. Helens/Rainier in distance.

view from chinidere
    Near the top of Chinidere, looking out to Mt. Hood.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Adam,

That's a great loop, with everything the Gorge has to offer. Best of all, the TH is a mere hour away from Portland! Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools