Topic

Anybody have a link to a strong micro clip ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anybody have a link to a strong micro clip ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Looking for some strong plastic micro clips.

Basically its for a Poncho tarp.
    Want to be able to clip on guy lines.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

MYOG UL "carabiner" can weigh as little as 1g

DIY Gear Supply (formerly the Backwoods Daydreamer) with "mini-biners" with no weight listed for $0.50

DIY Gear Supply again with "Micro Carabiners" for $1.65 each

Z Packs 0.1oz. / 2.8g Mini-D Carabiners for $1.95 Joe also has them available as a 6 pack at a slight discount. Domestic shipping is cheap.

Soft Shackle $6.00

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Consider splicing in a fixed loop or just tie a loop with knot on one end for each of your guy lines, loop that through each guy tie-out on the tarp, pull the non-loop end through the fixed loop, and then use Micro Line Locs from Z-Packs or the cheaper Line Loc 3 depending on your guy line thickness to get the tension you need. This may be the lightest solution, but not the cheapest if you will be re-buying some SUL line for your guy lines.

Video showing how to use Line Locs. In the video he uses the Mirco Line Loc variety, I think.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

""Consider splicing in a fixed loop or just tie a loop with knot on one end for each of your guy lines, loop that through each guy tie-out on the tarp, pull the non-loop end through the fixed loop, and then…""

Agreed. Line Locs work fine; if the cordage is suitable for knots, the Taut Line Hitch works just fine, too – no carabiners or Line Locs needed. YMMV.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thanks

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

My nacrabiner weighs 0.3 grams.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Chris,

What line did you make that nacrabiner out of? Also, why is a called a nacrabiner?

Chris Lucas

@cheme

I used the 1.4 mm Z-Line Slick from ZPacks. In retrospect it is the perfect choice since it so readily slides on itself! I believe what makes it a nacrabiner is that nacra533 from the hammock forums was the first person credited with this particular design.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32116

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Thanks Chris.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Chris,

Hard to tell how the noose is made from the photo. Is it simply wrapped around a couple of times?

Daryl

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Daryl,

Is this the detail in the picture below that you are questioning?

Loop detail

Here are a few more photos to clarify how they are made.

Loop detail 2

The next two pictures show a couple of different ways to finish off the nacrabiner.

Loop detail 3

You can simply tie the stopper knot on the end of the doubled cord or thread one of the two ends through the side and into the center of the other. The cord then exits out of the side just before the stopper knot is tied in the "again" doubled cord.

Loop detail 4

I hope this answered your question.

Now I have one of my own. Where can I find one of these really neat "cord insertion" tools, shown in the first picture, to fit some of Lawson's older guywire?

Party On,

Newton

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Seen those before but never a clear photo.

I use a piece of .035 SS welding wire to make Brummels and whatnot.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

John,

You answered my question perfectly.

Thanks.

Daryl

Chris Lucas

@cheme

This video is quite good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvX-jpJc0cs

You're tying a diamond knot.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

John,

Thanks for the photos.

As to your question, have consider using a guitar string?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Hey Pilate,

I never mind sharing what I didn't know before I googled it! ;-) LOL

I've been getting by using a yarn needle and fraying the end of the cord. I trim off about 2/3rds of the frayed cord and insert the rest through the needle eye.

It works OK about 80% of the time. I believe the tool that I am looking for is called a fid.

I found some on the internet but the 1.7mm to 2.0mm size is the sticking point.

There's no hurry as I am back to work on my wife's day pack. Stay tuned, pictures will be up on BPL fairly soon.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools