Topic

the lowly shower cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear the lowly shower cap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I purchased one to go over the ventilated portion of my broad brimmed hat when it's raining. Since then, I've used it to line my pot cozy for use as a sink and as a water collection tool. When a water source is at its ebb, I can, for example, conform the edge of the cap to a rock or log that has a trickle flowing over it and collect water fairly quickly. More so than with a bottle or pot.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I used to carry one of the dollar store types, and need to add it back. You have some good multiuse ideas. It would be cool to have a hat cover made of silnylon in nice colors that could be used as you mention. A small drawcord/cordlock might be nice to cinch it up around a hat crown.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It also makes a good rain cap for a big DSLR camera.

–B.G.–

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

Thanks for the tip on the shower cap. I suspect those thieving gnomes will steal 1 from the wife's cabinet drawer and hide it in my bp gear pile. :-)

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I have one in my bike bag to cover my helmet in a downpour.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

""Thanks for the tip on the shower cap. I suspect those thieving gnomes will steal 1 from the wife's cabinet drawer and hide it in my bp gear pile.""

I carry one for my camera as well. You can get a multi-pack from the "$1 Store" types of places.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have noticed our state police wear something like a shower cap over their brimmed hats when it rains. I was considering using one for that and then getting rid of the sweaty hood on my poncho. The only down side I can see is that rain might blow under the hat and into the neck. But it would be a lot more venting to the head and neck and upper torso, which is where I sweat out in a poncho a lot. Anyone else do this?

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Anyone else do this?

That's exactly what I do. I haven't worn my hat in winds blowing hard enough to give me that problem, but if that rarity happens, I'll just put my hood on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools